Battery replacement for Furuno GP-37

Started by gstours, November 02, 2022, 08:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Has anyone else replaced the backup battery in this particular gps unit?
  Apparently it's a common button type Cr 2354, with a tab for soldering?
Furuno part number 142-305 I'm told is no longer available from them.
  The expected lifespan is approximately 3-5 years.   
I'd like to hear from someone out there who can share some knowledge or experience if possible.    Thanks for a reply. :cf

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

gstours

Thanks for sharing your information,  I,m on it.    :fish
  These photos are the factory original battery.   Maybe just unsolder and resolder. Thanks again.   

Gobi King

Gary, that is not a tradition solder,
that has been spot welded,
I can mail you a little spot welder that you can connect to a car battery and zap them.

The heat from solder may damage a lithium button battery but if are quick....it probably be fine.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

PacRat

If that's just a 3v coin battery, run this search on the big auction site, "FURUNO 0142824000 Lithium Battery Cr2450 For Gp165O". You can solder tabs from your existing battery onto the smaller tabs on this battery. Use a heat-sink or something so that the new battery doesn't get too hot. I would use a very hot soldering iron to keep the heat duration to a minimum.

gstours

Thanks again for your help.   I'm going to do something and need my best option.
  The factory battery did seem to be spot welded to the tab.   Thanks.

Gobi King

Fichigan

gstours

Thanks again for your interest,  with the information I've received it seems like a battery with a tab would be my best option.  I have some solder experience and think if's the tabs are on the battery,  it's my best option,  just solder away,  furuno ran a ring of what seems to be hot glue around and kinda over the top of the battery in their factory installed unit.  Maybe it's a holding thing to the mother board ?"
  Some battery's seem to have a yellow insulation ring for some reason,as did the factory one.  .?.?  As the mother board is insulated/ plastic I'm not sure what this was about.?  Thanks for your help/ interest.  Next year is around the corner. 🎣🎣🐠🐟🥴

Gobi King

Quote from: gstours on November 07, 2022, 02:42:06 AMThanks again for your interest,  with the information I've received it seems like a battery with a tab would be my best option.  I have some solder experience and think if's the tabs are on the battery,  it's my best option,  just solder away,  furuno ran a ring of what seems to be hot glue around and kinda over the top of the battery in their factory installed unit.  Maybe it's a holding thing to the mother board ?"
  Some battery's seem to have a yellow insulation ring for some reason,as did the factory one.  .?.?  As the mother board is insulated/ plastic I'm not sure what this was about.?  Thanks for your help/ interest.  Next year is around the corner. 🎣🎣🐠🐟🥴

The hot glue prevent the vibration to cause metal fatigue over time, the yellow insulation is a good idea to prevent shorts, I would wrap the one you get with some kapton tape(ish) to insulate it too.
Fichigan

gstours

I did order a replacement battery that appears to be identical in configuration and yellow plastic band over the outer diameter.   With your help here I feel it should be something I can tackle my self,   Thanks to everyone,    :fish