Bamboo rods

Started by Benni3, December 23, 2022, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Bamboo just has a different feel to it,,,, ;) and I just wanted to know how other members thought about it,,,,,, ;D

Bryan Young

One of my favorite surf casting rods is a half and half rod with the bottom half fiberglass with a bamboo tip.  I too like the action of this rod but they are now very hard to find in good shape as many are over 70 years old by now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oldmanjoe

I love my bamboo sticks , i usually bring one every time i go fishing
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

I'm thinking about doing another bamboo fly to spinning rod,,,, ;D

happyhooker

If you like bamboo, go for it.  I think it is a wonderful tradition to use BB rods, but for me, the high cost, high maintenance and limited availability make it a bit of a non-starter.

Frank

Benni3

Quote from: happyhooker on December 26, 2022, 02:35:30 AMIf you like bamboo, go for it.  I think it is a wonderful tradition to use BB rods, but for me, the high cost, high maintenance and limited availability make it a bit of a non-starter.

Frank
I would do a 1930 to 1950's rod there just made good,,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

From a fly perspective, in addition to the durability and maintenance issues thank Frank mentioned, the blanks are much heavier and slower (oscillation frequency, not taper) than fiberglass or carbon fiber.  The only thing bamboo is functionally better at is extremely short casts where the rod has to load up under it own weight because you have little or no line out past the leader.  At that point, I can just use a good sneeze to launch the fly :).

For folks that like a softer slower rod, there are fiberglass alternatives, including some modern takes.

I am honestly curious as to why you guys enjoy bamboo.  Is it the connection to the past, appreciation of the craftsmanship and natural materials, or is there something about the feel of the rod in use that provides enjoyment?

-J

Benni3

Quote from: jurelometer on December 27, 2022, 09:17:46 PMFrom a fly perspective, in addition to the durability and maintenance issues thank Frank mentioned, the blanks are much heavier and slower (oscillation frequency, not taper) than fiberglass or carbon fiber.  The only thing bamboo is functionally better at is extremely short casts where the rod has to load up under it own weight because you have little or no line out past the leader.  At that point, I can just use a good sneeze to launch the fly :).

For folks that like a softer slower rod, there are fiberglass alternatives, including some modern takes.

I am honestly curious as to why you guys enjoy bamboo.  Is it the connection to the past, appreciation of the craftsmanship and natural materials, or is there something about the feel of the rod in use that provides enjoyment?

-J
It just has a different feel when fighting a fish,,,,,, ;D

Cuttyhunker

You've got me thinking, I have one of the postwar Japanese bamboo boat rods, not worth much, in okay shape that I'm going to try out next season. Bragging rights if nothing else. A few of Gramps old boo casters up in the floor joists too that need a little more attention but would look pretty cool with a 701 or 303 hanging underneath (I'm a lefty), the Squidders can stay on the shelf.
Doomed from childhood

oldmanjoe

Here is a true cross over stick  spin and boo .. Took a broken spin handle and slid a boo stick up the butt.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

DougK

Quote from: jurelometer on December 27, 2022, 09:17:46 PMI am honestly curious as to why you guys enjoy bamboo.  Is it the connection to the past, appreciation of the craftsmanship and natural materials, or is there something about the feel of the rod in use that provides enjoyment?

all of these things..
I have a bit of a collection of fly rods, glass, graphite and bamboo. My favorite rod in the entire lot is a South Bend 359 8.5' 5wt bamboo. It's a quick action, faster than most of my glass rods.
The reel in the pic is also South Bend, an improved copy of the Pflueger Medalist..

Jim Fujitani

I reconditioned a postwar BB (cane?) rod back in the mid 70s.  It was part of a "set" that came in the wooden boxes with the sliding compartments.  My father had possession of it for years but hadn't used it.  It may have been brought over by one of my uncles returning after the war.

After I stripped the black lacquer and guides off the blank, I varnished the blank.  I rebuilt the rod using modern ferrules, cork, reel seat, and guides and mounted a Pflueger 1495.  It turned out to be a 3-piece 7+ foot #7 flyrod.
The first day I used it on the lower Trinity, I landed a 7# Steelhead on my last cast of the day.  The slower, but heavier action was definitely different.

As I recall, there was an effort made by some blank manufacturers in the late 70's to develop a fibreglas, graphite, or combo material blank to mimic the slower action of the BB (or cane) rods.  But I don't recall anyone being successful. 

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on January 25, 2023, 06:16:37 AMI reconditioned a postwar BB (cane?) rod back in the mid 70s.  It was part of a "set" that came in the wooden boxes with the sliding compartments.  My father had possession of it for years but hadn't used it.  It may have been brought over by one of my uncles returning after the war.

After I stripped the black lacquer and guides off the blank, I varnished the blank.  I rebuilt the rod using modern ferrules, cork, reel seat, and guides and mounted a Pflueger 1495.  It turned out to be a 3-piece 7+ foot #7 flyrod.
The first day I used it on the lower Trinity, I landed a 7# Steelhead on my last cast of the day.  The slower, but heavier action was definitely different.

As I recall, there was an effort made by some blank manufacturers in the late 70's to develop a fibreglas, graphite, or combo material blank to mimic the slower action of the BB (or cane) rods.  But I don't recall anyone being successful. 

Jim - I have a couple of those box "kits"; I suspect that a lot of military on leave in Japan during the Korean conflict brought them home (I know that is where mine came from).  The cool thing with the butt section on mine is depending on which way you turn the butt, you either have a fly rod (reel at the end) or a spinning rod (reel in middle of handle). - john

DougK

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on January 25, 2023, 06:16:37 AMAs I recall, there was an effort made by some blank manufacturers in the late 70's to develop a fibreglas, graphite, or combo material blank to mimic the slower action of the BB (or cane) rods.  But I don't recall anyone being successful. 

the Orvis Spring Creek 9'3" 5wt graphite was a successful imitation of cane action.. I had mine for several decades. Most people who tried mine didn't like it since it's not a fast action casting cannon, but I loved it. With practice I could cast an entire 5wt DT line. When I cast my first cane rod, in fact that SB 359 mentioned, I realized what the old Orvis was doing..
Mine delaminated catastrophically one day during a double haul, so can't compare directly anymore. The Spring Creek shows up occasionally on ebay, for 300-500, more than I want to pay.

oc1

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 25, 2023, 06:51:26 AM
Quote from: Jim Fujitani on January 25, 2023, 06:16:37 AMI reconditioned a postwar BB (cane?) rod back in the mid 70s.  It was part of a "set" that came in the wooden boxes with the sliding compartments.  My father had possession of it for years but hadn't used it.  It may have been brought over by one of my uncles returning after the war.

Jim - I have a couple of those box "kits"; I suspect that a lot of military on leave in Japan during the Korean conflict brought them home (I know that is where mine came from).  The cool thing with the butt section on mine is depending on which way you turn the butt, you either have a fly rod (reel at the end) or a spinning rod (reel in middle of handle). - john

Grampus, Kiraku, Sakura, Seal, Mermaid, Mayflower.  Those things were sold under a lot of diffrent names but they all used the same components.