Headed south again

Started by Wolfram M, December 24, 2022, 05:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2022, 02:58:17 AMThat's terrible fishing conditions.

Up here in he Florida panhandle we get blessed with bridges to fish off of. The sheepshead are all on the pilings
Hook him up with places to try , he is in your old stomping grounds ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wolfram M

Yeah, I'm up in Destin. Been fishing Destin east jetty and norigo point, opposite the harbor, got one good hit but never got the hook in.

Choctawahatchee bay is nice but it's all private property except a few public parks with 2ft of crystal clear water as far out as I can throw. I was hoping for maybe a cruising redfish or drum, but nothing yet.

Fished off the 331 bridge in pilchard park with fiddler crabs, hitting bridge and dock pilings but no luck.  Same at the Destin-okaloosa island bridge.

Been trying these in the surf since Thursday:
live sand fleas
Cut fresh shrimp
Fiddler crabs

On the destin easy jetty I tried cut shrimp on a 2 hook rig and on a Carolina rig, got the one hit on the Carolina rigged shrimp in 3 hours

Noreigo point is where I am writing this now, been up and down harbor side and pass side for 2 hours, no luck.

Even tried the sabiki out in the pass-thats where the charter boats catch their bait on the way out to the gulf-not one cigar minnow or alewive or glass minnow.

I figure if I post that I'm headed somewhere to go fishing, you gents should head somewhere else if you wanna catch fish!   ;D

JasonGotaProblem

We believe in you dude.

Maybe try whole live shrimp instead of cut shrimp? I've noticed I get much better results.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wolfram M

Went out for another few hours this evening, right out on the beach. The surf calmed down considerably while I was out there, but still no hits. There were 7 lines in the water, about every 30ft, with shrimp, sand fleas, mullet, and cut mackerel, none of us got a bite.

I am not seeing any bird activity on the water either, except for just a few when I was out on the jetty.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the classic sunny Florida day, with a calm surf and a tide rising from 750AM until high tide at 650PM.

Wolfram M

Well it was sunny for a bit but not on the beach!

Fog rolled in and never left, all day. I did go out and try some live shrimp off the beach and in the pass again, got another good hit but never got anything to stay on the hook.

Switched to a gold colored spoon and threw it off the jetty for a while, until the fog had soaked through. When I came back to the house I'm staying in, my grandmother asked if I fell in!

Still no luck this trip. I am planning another fishing trip this summer but I have to explore options and save up some more money before I know where/when.IMG_20230101_165123.jpg