new trinidad 30a impressions (share your thoughts!)

Started by sebastianr240, December 27, 2022, 04:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

The original ones were a separate frame and side plates

Now to preservice the reels takes forever!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

I'm just glad they got rid of the click spring, spent more time trying to get it back in place or looking for it after it projectiles out than actually servicing the reel. Haha

sebastianr240

So like i think i said earlier i just took the stock shimano grease off and applied cals and that seemed to fix the problem for the most part. However it still persists a little.

I tried to check out my other star drags to see if they did this.. all my star drags except one do it. Some more than others.

trinidad's (gold and silver), torium, and an old speedmaster all do it.

One of my speedmasters doesn't seem to do this at all.

My theory is that it comes down to small tolerance differences in the drag washers. I know the amount of grease in the drags plays a role too, but I think the tolerances are what is causing it, since in most cases the excess is squeezed out of the drags with pressure.

This problem i'm referring to is probably something most users wouldn't even notice in the reel through regular use, I am just a little ocd perfectionist.

handi2

Just remember to wipe all the grease of by rubbing them in a towel
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on January 03, 2023, 01:25:08 AMJust remember to wipe all the grease of by rubbing them in a towel

I was very thorough!

You didn't happen to get those avet parts returned back to you by any chance did you?

handi2

Quote from: sebastianr240 on January 03, 2023, 01:44:44 AM
Quote from: handi2 on January 03, 2023, 01:25:08 AMJust remember to wipe all the grease of by rubbing them in a towel

I was very thorough!

You didn't happen to get those avet parts returned back to you by any chance did you?

No, I have not received them back. I will send some more, but I'll have to put it in a priority mailbox.
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on January 03, 2023, 11:07:28 AM

I was very thorough!

No, I have not received them back. I will send some more, but I'll have to put it in a priority mailbox.

Thanks a ton Keith. I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping costs. If the parts ever come up i'll send them back to you as well if you'd like!

handi2

Quote from: sebastianr240 on January 03, 2023, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: handi2 on January 03, 2023, 11:07:28 AM

I was very thorough!

Thanks a ton Keith. I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping costs. If the parts ever come up i'll send them back to you as well if you'd like!

I'll try to get it done tomorrow. I have a minor surgery scheduled for tomorrow
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Thanks! Please take your time, hope all goes well with the surgery.

Please make out the package to Juan Rothman so we can avoid any return to sender problems. I appreciate you a ton!

boon

I don't fully understand the issue... when you back the drag star off you can't get to zero drag?

sebastianr240

Quote from: boon on January 05, 2023, 12:07:31 AMI don't fully understand the issue... when you back the drag star off you can't get to zero drag?

Basically yes. Drag doesn't want to go to zero if i don't turn the handle slightly. It's much more noticeable if drag is decreased with tension on the line. Star can be backed all the way off and there is still some drag. Then you turn the handle and the spool frees up and spins. I could post a video if you're interested, it's quite an interesting phenomenon.

handi2

I've had some health issues

Another set will be mailed tomorrow.

I'm using a priority mail box this time.

Keith 8C1727FB-258B-4330-AE98-C8211C15EDEA.jpeg8C1727FB-258B-4330-AE98-C8211C15EDEA.jpeg 
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Thanks a ton Keith,

Hope you're feeling better, sending prayers your way.

Sebastian

I'd love to cover the cost of the shipping, send me a pm