Avet HXW 5/2 Raptors failed clickers

Started by triumphrick, January 02, 2023, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumphrick

Avet HXW 5/2 schematic:chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.avetreels.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/4708e5_4ee1da9bf2d446f08b8874d44d1d82f2.pdf

This is a big problem....I have a handful of these in for a service and the complaint is failed clickers. There have been several mods to the clicker housings on these reels. But what about if the clicker housings are cast into the sideplate too small to accept any of the inserts they show?

Look at the schematic and note key#'s 02A and 02B. Those inserts are what will hold the click pawl in place. What do you do without them? I have a series of reels s/n 04055 to 04245 all cast the same way. They are using the cast  kidney shape to hold the pawl open or closed. Without an insert. Two of these have worn enough the clicker wont stay engaged, slowly opens.

The one picture of reel s/n 07863 is cast completely different, so that an insert will fit.

No, I am not going to machine the side of the reel to fit either of the inseerts they show.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here? I will reach out to Scott whenever I can get ahold of him but trying you folks first to see how this problem has been addressed and resolved.

alantani

the clicker design leaves a bit to be desired.  for the black insert on top, i was successful one time by cutting a strip of teflon and cramming it into the laser cut outs of the black insert.  that was able to tighten up the hold on the post of the click button. this is for the "two spring" design.

for the insert on the bottom, i took a small round file and deepened the grooves where the post sits so that the click button would stay put.

in both cases, i told the owners that they could not use the clickers anymore.  one more failure and the only fix would be to remove the entire assembly.  yeah, the design is that difficult.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

triumphrick

Here we go...Avet will fix the frame, Scott responded to my email inquiry:

"Hi Rick! What you have there is the first run of the single spring clicker design which has been updated. There weren't very many made without the nylon clicker housing. The initial idea was to make them as loud as possible with nothing to insulate and deaden the sound, but they didnt hold up over time. If you send those frames to us, we will machine them and fit the updated nylon housings at no charge. We have already retrofitted 95% of the reels that went out without the nylon housings, there are very few left out in the wild."
--
Scott Throop
Technical/Marketing/Media Manager
Avet Reels Inc./Avet Industries Inc.
PH: (818) 576-9895
FX: (818) 576-9896

Hardy Boy

Great Service from Avet. Nice to see.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

I agree with da Hardy boy,  if Avet can keep their users happy the word may spread and this may help them from retooling, losing customers, and making a mark in the USA company,s that some of us would like/prefer to deal with.   Customer service can calm many ills,  and buy confidence...... But its up to the board of directors and they may have other stratigys ?   
  This is why this site is helping us in several ways..  We like stuff that works good.  Some of us can fix stuff sometimes..  As much as I like some reels,  another just like it might persuade a sale .....
  Ive tested a few reels that ive likes,  but theres no way to get parts or service.   
     Theres a lot of info here to steer a buyer to purchace what they want.  Following this we just hope. :ct