Quality Spinning Reel Parts are Useless — Unless organized

Started by foakes, January 01, 2023, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

My small shop upstairs is dedicated to just vintage, high quality spinning reels.  D.A.M. Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals.

I try to keep the mainly used parts up here.

And I know that unless they are marked, numbered, and easily located —- they are useless, and worth next to nothing.

I can't find them when needed without a lot of wasted time when working on a reel —- and I cannot find them for others who might need them.

Still need to organize the Mitchell stuff a little better —- there are 24 large crates of Mitchell parts, not counting hundreds of spools and complete reels.

However, the DQ, Penn, and Cardinal parts are pretty well organized according to part numbers and reel model.

Was looking for another case of Penn Spinners this morning —- and ran across this bin of Penn parts —- mostly for Spinners.

The bin was mis-marked and I overlooked it for years.

So now, I will fold these parts into their proper numbers within the upper shop.  Fortunately, with the exception of spool shafts & bails —- they are mostly all numbered.

Lots of good stuff in here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred you probably have more pictures of parts than you do parts....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

reelrepair123

all great stuff fred, you cornered the market.    harryk

happyhooker

I work hard at organizing--but never seem to get everything done & still end up hunting.

Frank

handi2

I wish I had Fred's aptitude towards the organization. I know where my parts are but not always how many.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: handi2 on January 02, 2023, 03:07:50 AMI wish I had Fred's aptitude towards the organization. I know where my parts are but not always how many.

I'm not quite as organized as Fred but the few Cardinal parts I have are all listed on a spread sheet and sorted in small zip lock packets with part #s and bagged according to model (3, 4, 6 & 7, & a bag for parts that fit on all the aforementioned). I've got the same setup for my few ABU Garcia Cardinal parts (3, 4 & 5).

I've got a box full of numbered Mitchell parts (probably 500 or more) that came with an ABU Garcia parts lot that I've had for 10 years and never sorted through. One of these days if I ever get to the 40 or so Mitchells that I have in a tote I will probably get a little more serious about organizing those Mitchell parts.  :-\  The problem with that scenario is I'll have to make a list and use my PC to do a search to see what they fit.  ::)    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

I feel for you. It gets tedious at times so I just keep going like it will get better. One reel at a time
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Every time I get my garage/workspace good n organized, my lovely wife decides to de-clutter something inside, ya know, since some space to dump it opened up.

It's funny, as long as i keep it at some baseline of messiness, I will have room to maneuver.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.