SOA 3 Day Bluefin Trip, July 3-6, 2023

Started by alantani, January 04, 2023, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: pointbob on June 02, 2023, 01:26:10 PMDo you get to keep all the fish you catch?
Quote from: Keta on June 02, 2023, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: pointbob on June 02, 2023, 01:26:10 PMDo you get to keep all the fish you catch?

Yes.

Assuming the catch is within legal limits, the processing fees for ALL your fish may then, in hindsight, bring cause to question the wisdom of keeping it ALL...

sciaenops

Quote from: Porthos on June 02, 2023, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: Keta on June 02, 2023, 02:53:23 PM

Yes.

Assuming the catch is within legal limits, the processing fees for ALL your fish may then, in hindsight, bring cause to question the wisdom of keeping it ALL...

$1.85 per LB. Be advised when targeting those triple digit bluefin out there lol. A nice round 60#er is my sweet spot.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Anyone need nighttime jigging bite leaders for this trip?

I can make you a couple with all terminal tackle except hooks....

The leader setup is:

3-400# swivel double crimped, 3' 300# mono, solid ring double crimped to a 400# split ring

Let me know if you need a couple

Pj

sciaenops

Quote from: Keta on June 02, 2023, 09:13:51 PM60-80 is mine.

hell, twist my arm then, I'll take an 80 or even a 90#er  :D

pjstevko

The trip is less than 2 weeks away so I'm gonna start prepping my gear over the next few days. 

Today I'll be making jigging bite leaders if anyone needs a couple just let me know...

Porthos

Tuna jigs connection hardware reconfigured:

AFW 411 lb swivel -> (Owner #10 split + Owner #9 solid)-> knife jig (400g-450g) ->  Owner #10 split -> Owner #9 solid.

Assist hooks are Charkbait 10/0 3X VMC #8382...and yes, they work night jigging. The bottom one got a BFT on last year's July SOA 3-day.

Will attach ESCA light right before 1st drop...

David Hall

Broke my hand last Saturday in 4 places. regretably the incident has forced me off the trip this year. Wait I mean i broke my hand in four places last saturday.  I will toast to your success.  Hope its as good as the June trip.

pjstevko

Quote from: David Hall on June 23, 2023, 05:52:25 PMBroke my hand last Saturday in 4 places. regretably the incident has forced me off the trip this year. Wait I mean i broke my hand in four places last saturday.  I will toast to your success.  Hope its as good as the June trip.

Bummer David! I was looking forward to fishing with ya!

Hamachi

Six fish trip limit 333 lbs. farmed and gave away the rest.
What worked: 40 lb. Test flyline fluorocarbon leader,
                         420 g. Knife jigs
                          80 lb. Test sinker rigs (12-16 oz.)
                           Small hooks,
   This was under less than ideal conditions, windy, semi choppy swells, fast drift, all contributing to heavy
Jig selection. Oops! I meant this for the June trip, sorry . Well this might help the July trippers! Take care of yourself, David, and get well soon!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

stoked4fishin

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Hamachi

Lee, I was there when you landed that 330 pound bluefin, and then artfully yelled for an hour at five star to get your belly pieces from them. Talk about hero's.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Keta

Mark Twain

Porthos