ABU — MITCHELL — CARDINAL — GARCIA PARTS

Started by foakes, January 08, 2023, 12:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Problem —-

(18) 27 Quart Crates of New Old Stock Mitchell parts.
(17) 27 Quart Crates of NOS ABU, Cardinal, Garcia parts.
(22) 27 Quart Crates of complete Mitchell Reels.
600 - 700 Mitchell spools

Most of the ABU & Mitchell parts are in with numbered paper sacks, or numbered parts envelopes.  But after 50 years, a lot of the envelopes and bags are falling apart.

My Potential Solution —-

Organize in new numbered bags and envelopes —- and then install them into the Pelican-Type boxes I get from Home Depot. 

This will be an awakening & learning process —- plus a good thing to do over the next couple of months of possibly bad weather.

The DAM Quick & Penn Spinning Reel parts are already organized like this.

The ABU parts consist of lots of numbered small interior parts, plus frames, sideplates, cranks, rotors, spools, bails, etc..

Same with the Mitchell parts.

When completed —- this should make locating parts more efficient, as well as quicker.

If anyone needs any of these parts —- let me know.

Many/Most are not carried by tackle shops anymore —- and a majority of these parts are obsolete and not available for reasonable prices anywhere else.

Right now, I do not know for sure the make up —- so this will be a good way to familiarize myself with these —- and see what is actually here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Man you are like the grocery store of reel parts .   Walk down a isle and pick parts ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

I'd love to be sitting next you when you go through all those ABU parts.  ;)  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 08, 2023, 03:44:05 AMI'd love to be sitting next you when you go through all those ABU parts.  ;)  :o

I wish you were also, Tom —-

Your knowledge would save a lot of time —- and help to ID some of the tougher and more obscure ABU parts.

I'll just try and muddle through.

Methodically, with a plan, and a heater, and plenty of Starbucks.

Loose, unmarked parts, are basically next to worthless —- at least to me.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

boy  fred alot of therapy work there, yes bad weather work, it will be frustrating but rewarding, tommy and i would have a ball helping you,   good luck, have fun,     harryk

Gfish

Man-oh-man! You got some alone time ahead you.

I have extra of most all the Mitchell 300 shims I need for awhile thanks to eBay, although they's over-priced.
I looking for some Pinion gear shims though. I think they're #81 035. Bout 4.0mmx5.8mm and 0.1-0.2mm thick. I have 2 left, so only if your have extra-extra's.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

timex63

Fred,

Just read this post, are you willing to sell any of your abu garcia cardinal parts?

Al

foakes

Sure, Al —-

Let me know what you need.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

You are completely right, Fred: if you can't find it or ID it, it truly is worthless.  You've got a job, but you are adding value for yourself and all AT members thru your efforts.  Thank you for your efforts that a lot of us will get a chance to appreciate.

Frank