Shimano Bantam's are Still Kickin' It!

Started by Paul Roberts, January 08, 2023, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Thought I'd share a favorite "old" reel, the Shimano Bantam. At least it's considered old nowadays. I recently watched a video of a young angler taking his "grandfather's Shimano Bantam" off the shelf and out for a spin. He exclaimed that the reel was older than he was! In trepidation —concerned he would surely backlash that "old" tech— he started casting. And he wound up "totally surprised" that this old reel cast "just about as well" as his expensive new casting reel. From my perspective, as a collector of much older casting reels, and having bought my first Bantam before that youngster was born, I consider these Bantam reels thoroughly modern. Wasn't sure where to post this... memoir/historical/tutorial. I guess one might consider the Bantam's "collectible". Then again, aren't all reels, rods, lures,...?

Modern "baitcasting" took shape as the vexing issues inherent in "casting bait" were solved. Issues that had plagued anglers since it was first discovered that reels could indeed do more than simply hold line. What followed this embryonic epiphany was a cascade of painfully obvious needs from a casting reel: retrieve speed, distance and accuracy and, closely associated, the effective management of backlashing. Over time (some 150+ years) each were tackled by mechanical engineers in a number of ingenious ways that made casting incrementally better and easier.

Casting reels got more complex as each requirement was addressed. Check out the schematic of the mid 20th century Pflueger Akron (below) that came along well down the road in "bait casting" development. It sports the Marhoff levelwind worm gear that was introduced in 1907 and remains in use today. The Akron is a fine casting reel for its day and, believe it or not, is a fine caster today, within its limitations. Those being: the weights it will efficiently cast (1/2oz give or take, and aerodynamic to boot); the overall distance it can achieve; and the physical challenges to the caster, and reel service mechanic, in getting the most out of it. Then there's retrieve speed, which limits the presentations an angler might be able to apply, realizing just how much speed can be required to trigger fish into striking at times, and how fast fish can be when running down a lure. The 15 to 18 inches of retrieve per crank the old direct drive reels gave was found to be a serious limitation.

It could be argued that "modern baitcasting" began with the ABU Ambassadeur reels in the 1950's (effective centrifugal brakes, freespool, anti-reverse and star drag, and gear ratios breaking the "quadruple" convention), effectively beginning to leave its long line of predecessors in its wake. Next in line was Lew Childre's Speed Spool, in 1973, that gave us a true freespool, one disengaged from the levelwind mechanism —the levelwind being the biggest drag on casting efficiency. The Speed Spool happened to be manufactured by Shimano Japan, then a bicycle precision parts manufacturer.

It's here that Shimano managed to insert itself into the timeline of modern baitcasting history by following up on the Speed Spool with its own innovative line of reels, the Bantam series. Introduced in the late 70's, Shimano Bantams offered the full suite of baitcasting innovation but in a much lighter, more efficient and lower profile design from either the Ambassadeur or Speed Spool. The Bantams utilized quality ball-bearings supporting the spool spindles, lightweight spools, freespool disengaged from the levelwind, and centrifugal braking in a low profile design. Shortly after the Bantam's introduction, magnetic spool braking hit the baitcasting world. ABU and Daiwa lead off with the Ultra Mag and MagForce, respectively, in 1982. Shimano's Bantam Mag appeared the following year.

The Bantam's covered —and still cover— the bases of modern fishing, being easy to bomb out long and/or accurate casts with baits as light as 1/4oz (total weight), without much thumbing or wind resistance issues. Retrieve speeds were a more functional 21ipt (inches per turn).

My first Bantam reel, the one I'm featuring in this post, purchased new in 1984, was the "Shimano Bantam Mag Plus 250 SG XHS". Yeah, that's kind of a mouthful. All those extra letters must mean something! Here we go: Mag = magnetic spool control; Plus = over-sized freespool release button; 250 = size/spool capacity; SG = "Super Gears"; XHS = "Xtra High Speed" retrieve ratio of 5:1 yielding 24ipt.

Retrieve speed at 24ipt covers a lot of bases. Of course, fish are faster yet, as I eventually discovered when the technique of "Burnin'" lipless crankbaits came around, which asked every bit of 24ipt. I then watched, helplessly, as a 20inch largemouth materialized from a weed flat and overran my "burned" Spot, throwing slack I simply could not recover, before spitting that chunk of weighted plastic. I knew then that my quiver needed a faster reel yet. I did say 24ipt covers a lot of bases, but not all!

That said, the Bantam Mag's are still "modern" in a functional sense, although they hold onto some "old school" features. They have exposed pillars and obvious, although "low profile", side-plates. They also have an on and off reverse switch for direct-drive capability. Shimano called this a "Fish Saver Switch", presumably to give a back-reeling option for big fish on a short line, like at boatside. I think most folks found the freespool button just as easy to reach, and the reverse function disappeared and was never seen again. A number of viewers of my YouTube channel seem to notice the old school look of my Bantam's, Ultra Mags, and Cardinal spinners, and have commented that I'm "retro", to which I say, "I'm not retro. That's just my stuff." And some will suggest that I need new gear. To which I reply, "No. No, I don't."

The Bantam's are not as easy to service -or I should say put back together- as my direct-drives of the previous century, having more parts to keep track of. But once you've been through one, taking photos along the way, and having a schematic to refer to if needed, they too are quite service-able. On the flip-side, the old direct-drive casting reels require more regular and thorough maintenance to approach anything close to "modern" casting expectations, along with an "educated thumb".

As to the Bantam's durability, here's been my experience: I bought my first back in the mid-80's from the tackle shop I worked at. One day, a top tournament angler stopped in. As I waited on him he pointed out the Shimano's in the reel case and informed me in an authoritative tone that they were "cheap junk". And that he had worn one out in a single season. I was a bit naive then, not realizing he was likely sponsored, looking for sponsorship, or just playing the sponsorship game. Anyway, it had its effect and I wondered if my new Shimano would hold up, as I fished an awful lot.

Well, we're now nearing 40 years hence and that reel has never let me down once, from bass to steelhead. Can't say I was as diligent at servicing the reel for most of its life either. Frankly, I was intimidated then by all the little parts, springs, and do-hickies inside it. But it held up. And it's still used regularly, although I'm a lot more capable a service tech than I was.

I now own a few of these "old" Bantam's. They were well used when I got them, and inexpensive. Materials are stainless steel and brass —the "Super Gears" are supposed to be tougher than regular brass— with lightweight graphite reinforced plastic in low-stress areas. The frame and faceplate are anodized aluminum, and the pillars heavily chromed (like in the old days). There appears to be little wear in any of these parts. Oddly, I suppose, the ball bearings are nearly noiseless in the three BMP's I now own. How could that be after nearly 40yrs? Wear does show on the outside of the reels —scratches and scuffing on the "titanium-graphite" tail-plate ("palming plate" now) and thumb rest that covers the top pillar. Guess we'll just call this wear "modern patina". :)

So, this is what I'm sharing here today: The fact that my Bantams are now nearing 40 years in age and still have roles to play in modern fishing for at least another... who knows how long? I should be able to pass these Bantam's on to my grandchilden. Perhaps they'll one day post a video of their "grandfather's Shimano Bantam".

-Bantam at work back in the day.
-Akron Schematic
-BMP250 Schematic
-BMP as found
-Service work
-Polished metal to metal contact
-Much better!
-Drag stack reference
-Ready to roll
-"Just my stuff"!

Shellbelly

Thanks Paul!
Nice run-down on a classic reel and the skill sets that come and go as reels improve.  I can't say "old" either...unless it's like 1930s reels.

You're now responsible for new shelving in many collectors' homes.  A good thing! 8)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

handi2

Very nice..!

I have an old Bantam somewhere around here.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paul Roberts

Yeah, I debate whether I should be talking reels up. Then again, I could just be getting ready to sell the 50 or so Bantams I've been hoarding! Cheap junk! :))

JasonGotaProblem

Paul great read thank you for that.
Quote from: handi2 on January 08, 2023, 11:32:36 PMVery nice..!

I have an old Bantam somewhere around here.
I really thought I'd replied to this post earlier but I don't see it. And Keith, I believe you sent it to me. Well for sure you sent me one, not sure if It's the one you mean currently. It's high on my list of reels to string up and see what I can toss
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rancanfish

I've got four Bantam 250's still new in boxes, but my favorite is still the 15xhs size.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Paul Roberts

Hi Rancanfish. What do you like about the 15?

Rancanfish

It's just a tiny monster. I used to fish for bass using 6lb Maxima Chameleon. (I still have it on all my 15's).  Just loved the challenge. And it was easy to throw smaller lures.

Where I am now they are fishing for steelhead currently. I would move up to the 250 or 350 if I decided to participate.

Working on them is a 'fiddly' affair with the tiny parts.  As far as smoothe I think the super oils made them perform even better.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

For years my go to reel for steelhead was a Bantam 51, I still use it but it but only for kokanee and makanaw.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

"Embryonic epiphany". I love it! Great write-up Paul. Cool pictures too. I really like the Wintertime Steelhead, one.
Here's my pre-mag Bantam,
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 12:04:55 AMCheap junk! :))
Yeh, Paul.  Old junk!  Take 'em out back for target practice with the flint lock rifle. ;)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Paul Roberts

Rancan, yeah, proper lubing helps. And it's critical for getting old DD reels to perform.

Keta, is the 51 a lefty 50? Or did you mean 15?

G, Pretty, pretty. I just think the early Bantams are classy looking.
I really loved that winter steelheading. Guess one had to. I remember fishing in single digits and having to put my frozen Bantam inside my coat to thaw it every so often. And the line would freeze into a string of pearls that had to be stripped off with my thumbnail. I'd pop the flies and egg sacks into my mouth to thaw them. Ah those were the days! Ones to tell the grandkids about, You know, like when we walked to school uphill, both ways. :)

steelfish

yep, good reels,  I have a Bantam Magnumlite 2000 and I updraded mine with carbontex drag and a bigger handle
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27063.msg310113#msg310113

The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 06:30:40 AMKeta, is the 51 a lefty 50? Or did you mean 15?

It is a left hand reel, I think a BMP51.  It landed hundreds of Alaska steelhead with only minor maintenance, anual clean and lube and I replaced the drag washers with CF.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Greg, that won't do, but I'mma help you out, being my boy and all. You can send me that 100 and I'll take good care, and in turn you will have a free space to put a red Abu on the Alex rod to match. I'd recco a 1000 if you can find one.  >:D