Fish processing for 2023

Started by pjstevko, January 11, 2023, 09:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

If you have trips planned for 2023 and require same day processing you should make your reservations today for all trips!

The processors shut down same day services during the later part of the summer for the last few years so better make your reservation now.

This is just a friendly reminder

alantani

Yeah, it's been a nightmare.  I had to drive back to San Diego the following week after our long range trip to pick up fish.  It's nice to be retired!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Yeah, kinda sucked, but then again I'm 2 hrs away from SD.  So I'm not complaining.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B on January 14, 2023, 08:27:24 AMYeah, kinda sucked, but then again I'm 2 hrs away from SD.  So I'm not complaining.  Bill

At least that's a good distance to make a fun day trip out of it if you can't get same day service.

gone2fish

Any recommendations on who to use?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

I've used Fisherman's Processing and Mario's (Sportsman's Seafood).  FP is rather expensive but great packaging, great diner across the street and don't count on same day processing.  Mario's cheaper but packaging is nominal and possibly same day with reservations.  I brought about 1/3 home last year and processed at home for fresh meat.  I'm 2 hours from SD so fish was still cold and I wasn't gassed from a long drive.  I still had a $400 processing bill from FP.  Alan drove down from San Jose to collect fish for the members who didn't get same day, c a couple weeks later.   PM sent. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

I've only ever used 5 Star and never had any issues!

If you wait until the last minute to call for your processing reservation you may not be able to get same day service.

sciaenops

another vote for Fisherman's. Used them pretty much for all my trips (5+/yr) for past 5 yrs. Never failed me, unlike 5-Star who dumped me twice during that timeframe. Mario's is good (cash discount, no sales tax) if they're open when you get in.

Hamachi

Too bad we can't find a fish cleaning station at a launch ramp nearby. I heard the unhoused (homeless) take over anything such as free water. We could then process our own fish, bringing our own knives and baggies and whatnots. There might be one on the other side of the point, at a pier, but haven't confirmed this. Someone that knows this area can help us hopefully.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Jim Fujitani

There is at least one farther down Shelter Island on the Shelter Island Pier, and there are restrooms right there also.  I assume the facilities are okay, I haven't been down that far on Shelter Island in over 5-6 years.  Best if you are with at least one partner, to watch your parked rig and gear just to be on the safe side for the obvious reasons.

JasonGotaProblem

As I mentioned in the thread I started, a truck bed, a cutting board, and a bunch of jugs of water can really change the dynamic. Then you just need a disposal plan.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gobi King

With such fantastic fishing, don't you guys have fish cleaning stations run by the city/DNR?

Here in Fichigan, nearly every port, major charter locations have a fish cleaning station that is free for public to use.
The best part is the disposal, either they have a ginder (not the dating kind) or a freezer with 50 gal buckets.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Shibs - Yes, there are fish cleaning stations in some launch ramps.  But not at the sportboat landings.  In all fairness, some of my fellow fisherman after our last trip left with a pickup truck bed full of iced fish on their way to process them at home.  For myself, it's all part of the cost of the trip. - john

Keta

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 25, 2023, 02:40:29 PMAs I mentioned in the thread I started, a truck bed, a cutting board, and a bunch of jugs of water can really change the dynamic. Then you just need a disposal plan.

Not so easy when dealing with 150-350 pound fish.

Only 235#

Or lots of 170-250 pound fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain