Tweaking a Pflueger Nobby

Started by Paul Roberts, January 13, 2023, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesnart

I'm new to the site and have enjoyed the discussions and info about DD reels...Paul can you explain the tweaking a bit further...which is the tail plate and the faceplate...and which wires do you "tweak"
I have Nobby and would like to tune it..also is this tuning method applicable to other reels
My favorite is the Shakespeare model 1926..it's my go to reel for distance and accuracy...i fish it with fiberglass and graphite rods...and will be trying it with a Union steel rod soon...can you comment on the 1926..

Paul Roberts

Hi bluesnart. Hmmm... First is tearing everything down, then cleaning, polishing the important metal to metal contact areas to reduce friction, then proper lubing (just enough to lube and not gum up the works). "Tweaking" is not a method as much as figuring out what is a bit off and getting everything as perfectly in line as possible, with what I have to work with. In this case I could hear a little recurring glitch sound, isolating it to the levelwind. (The LW creates a lot of drag on the system so requires top notch performance.) I then watched the levelwind's motion back and forth, noticing the line guide was hesitating at one end. Could be a worm pawl. Or, worse, damage or wear to the worm gear. In this case all checked out and I found that the line guide itself was sticking a tad. A slight bending of the guide straightened it up and the hesitation, and glitch sound, disappeared. Ever little bit helps with DD reels and the LW is a major focus for potential performance issues.

Now...truth be told... I do not know how much better a "finely tuned, anally tweaked" reel coming off my bench compares to one simply "cleaned and serviced". I don't own any of the latter. :)

Oh yes, the "faceplate" is the handle side, the "tailplate" is the palming side.