C540-3.2 Side Plate

Started by MACflyer, January 16, 2023, 08:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer

Help please. Working on a friend's reel, Newell C540-3.2. Right side plate has a hole on the outside of plate (bearing cavity). Are these side plates one solid piece, or is there a bearing cover? If a solid piece, are there any options for repair, or just hunt for a new side plate? Also can't find schematics for the C model? Thanks!

C488AB59-64D0-4981-9C23-7FA92D248227.jpeg

jigmaster501

If the hole is threaded, it needs a bearing cup. If it is not and the bearing cover section is broken out, you need a new side plate. Any 500 series handle side plate will do as these can get expensive.

MACflyer

Thanks Jigmaster501. It's not threaded so likely busted out. I was hoping it might have had a plastic cap like the "S" models. Still looking for a schematic for the "C" model...

Swami805

I've seen those with an insert that goes in that hole. They were silver, not sure if it was metal or plastic. I've never fooled with one but seen a few
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

There's an S533 on eBay that has a silver insert, I've never seen the insert for sale anywhere

MACflyer

The hole looks so smooth I was thinking insert too. The "S" model has an insert, part # U-7, that I'm thinking might fit. Someone on this site will know...I'm hoping

PacRat

There are a couple of Newell sites on FaceBook. I would try there as a lot of those members are in Hawaii. They seem to have more parts than us guys on the mainland.

-Mike

MACflyer

Thanks Mike. I'll likely need other parts as well.

Swami805

If you're getting other parts keep in mind the bridge is a little different on a 3.2 than a 4.6 or 5.5

MarkT

I thought there were aftermarket metal bearing caps to replace the covers on the C's?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MACflyer

An aftermarket SS cap sounds great. Haven't had any luck finding much about the "C" model. I just ordered an "S" plastic cover that looks like it might work.

MACflyer

Didn't know that Swami: thanks. I saw that 533 on eBay with the silver insert cap. First one I've seen. Hoping the black plastic cap I ordered will do the job. Parts are pricey for Newells.

MACflyer

The "S" model insert, part # U-7, fits fine in the "C" model. Now to reassemble and get it shimmed correctly.