looking for some advice on Bay Area crab snaring

Started by reelynew, January 30, 2023, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Matsuno

Quote from: reelynew on January 31, 2023, 03:50:45 AM
Quote from: Alan Matsuno on January 30, 2023, 05:49:42 PMPacifica Pier.  Rusty Bait and Tackle.  Use chicken legs, otherwise you are feeding seals.

Thanks Alan - I will check out Rusty's  for a snare.  I like the idea of fishing from a beach as well.  My original rod for crabbing is way too stiff and it's hard to load up the tip to cast.  If you crab snare, what rod are you using?

I use a Harrell. I recommend shopping your local tackle shops. Shakespeare sells surf rods and reel combos.

Do you have a budget?

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bryan Young

I made them.  There are several YouTube videos on this.  Snares you buy from the store uses 400# test size loops that easily spring open.  I used 100# mono so when the loops lasso the crab's legs, it stays tight.  It's good if you let up or a wave comes and looses your lines, but it's not as easy to release the unhappy crab when you get it on shore/up the pier.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Gee 400 lbs, they must be very heavy crabs, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 01, 2023, 12:57:45 PMGee 400 lbs, they must be very heavy crabs, cheers Don.

It has to be springy enough to open automatically when it hits the bottom.

reelynew

Quote from: Alan Matsuno on January 31, 2023, 08:04:37 PM
Quote from: reelynew on January 31, 2023, 03:50:45 AM
Quote from: Alan Matsuno on January 30, 2023, 05:49:42 PMPacifica Pier.  Rusty Bait and Tackle.  Use chicken legs, otherwise you are feeding seals.

Thanks Alan - I will check out Rusty's  for a snare.  I like the idea of fishing from a beach as well.  My original rod for crabbing is way too stiff and it's hard to load up the tip to cast.  If you crab snare, what rod are you using?

I use a Harrell. I recommend shopping your local tackle shops. Shakespeare sells surf rods and reel combos.

Do you have a budget?

Just seeing this now.  I have the reel already, so I'm just looking for a rod.  For your Harrell.  Can you tell me what length, power, lure rating and action it is just so I can get an idea?
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Bryan Young

Quote from: oc1 on February 02, 2023, 05:56:23 AM
Quote from: Donnyboat on February 01, 2023, 12:57:45 PMGee 400 lbs, they must be very heavy crabs, cheers Don.

It has to be springy enough to open automatically when it hits the bottom.
I find that if they are springy enough to stay open when casting, that is sufficient.  they don't tend to close without tension.  That is why I use 100# instead of 400# or weed hacker cord.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shellbelly

I was talking about these to a friend and he gave me this crab snare.  Amazing how I made it over 60 years without knowing about these.

The "no crabbing" sign was washed up on the beach years ago after one of the storms so I brought it to a new home. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)