Avet Lx line recommendation

Started by Homer Hiers, April 29, 2023, 01:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer Hiers

Just got an avet lx and I want it to be a trolling reel for mahi, blackfin, small yft AND a bottom fishing set up for grouper and snapper in 130-200 ft. What line should I go with? Solid braid, hollow core, straight mono? If braid, what test leader and how much yardage? Fishing in the south eastern US.
Appreciate the help, thanks.
Foul-hookin' b-liners on fire rock

Keta

I prefer hollow spectra but solid will work OK for what you are planning.

I would recomend 60/65 metered solid, JB Line 1 comes metered every 30'.

You can put 25#-50# topshots on the 60/65 pound braid. I use supper short mono/fluro topshots, 20-30 feet but have caught tuna on 2' topshots when the bite was hot and I did not have time to change it.  I would not recomend over 100' for trolling and 20'-30' for bottom fishing.

Have me give you a price on JB Line One so you can shop around.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i think it's going to be close to 400 yards of 80 pound solid braid.  go with a 60 pound mono or fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance.  with a plain LX, you should be able to get an easy 15 pounds of drag at strike.  consider pulling the reel apart and greasing the drag washer with cal's drag grease.  i also have a great handle upgrade for this reel. 

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=35460.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Where you fishing, Homer? Sounds like my neck o' the woods, more or less...