Jigmaster 501

Started by LanceV, February 12, 2023, 03:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanceV

Hello all. Just picked up a 501 in great condition, was planning on replacing with the 5+1 cabontex drag washers SS gear sleeve and possibly a Tiburon frame. Was wondering I noticed a little side to side motion in the handle which I think is normal but it bothers me... sorry kind of a perfectionists. Anyway I think this has been brought up before but was wondering if anybody could throw me some ideas about how to eliminate this. Im new to upgrading these I just retired and always looking for new things to do. If anyone could give me some info on shim sizes and where to get or belevilles and where to place them and sizes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rancanfish

Good morning lance. I think McMaster Carr is a good first place to check.  Go to the dedicated Penn thread here and you can get lost reading for a while.

Congrats on the new retirement.

If you need any parts for the Jiggy's let me know I have a bunch of leftovers. Might even have a frame floating around. I say might because I just haven't played with my reels in about 15 months. I bought a fixer upper home and it keeps me busy. I have a couple like new 506's too.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

First measure the OD of the gearsleeve.
Second measure the thrust (side movement)
Deduct .005-.010 from the thrust measurement and that is the thickness for the shim washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

I've used removed ball bearing shields to shim underneath the gear sleeve. They are, I believe stainless steel. I think there should be a tiny bit of play in there though, in case temp changes expand the metal, as in a big runner pullin some serious drag. This would be a "use what you can-without spending $-or going to the trouble of finding "real" shims", kind of a fix.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

Good advice on the shims to tighten up the gear sleeve.  Just don't make it over tight.  As far as belviles, INMHO you don't need them with a five stack. You'll get more than enough drag without it. Just consider upgrading the gear sleeve if you plan on using high drag numbers.

Swami805

Check that pin that holds the gear sleeve on the post first. Might be that pin has worn or something. If you're planning on adding a stainless sleeve that might tighten it up too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

PacRat

McMaster-Carr carries shim washers. One type is called a 'peel washer'. The important dimension is the I.D. The thickness is variable and determined by the user. These are/were available in stainless or brass. Buy them thicker than what you need and then peel away layers until you get the fit you like...but do not make it tight. These go under your gear sleeve. Use an exacto-knife to help separate the layers cleanly. You don't want to fluff up the edges.

I used these once or twice but they really aren't necessary. These Jigmasters aren't Swiss watches and that's part of why they are so reliable...the Kalashnikov of fishing reels. I like lee's solution of measuring then subtracting so that you can use a conventional shim.

handi2

I use shims from MC also. Daron an upstanding member here gave me the size for the 113H. That got me started on buying them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

McMaster Carr is a bit on the high side but they have a lot of things in stock.  They are my go to source.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LanceV

Thank everyone for the replies, ordered aall my parts will put back together and see if it tightens alittle after replacing the gear sleeve pin double bridge yoke etc.

Shellbelly

Quote from: PacRat on February 12, 2023, 11:03:22 PMThese Jigmasters aren't Swiss watches and that's part of why they are so reliable...the Kalashnikov of fishing reels. I like lee's solution of measuring then subtracting so that you can use a conventional shim.
Mine are "loose" as well, but always reliable. 

I like your AK analogy. Remember the best AK's have "never been fired and only dropped once."
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

You confuse AK's with FAMAS.

Mark Twain

LanceV

Thanks RanCan figured 38 years on the job was enough. Started when I was 19 so was able to get out early. Cant wait hit the tuna this year