1st Gen fathom 40nld2 losing freespool

Started by BobberMe, March 06, 2023, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobberMe

Good afternoon. I have a Fathom 40NLD2 that's losing free spool with drag set at 14-17lbs at strike and I was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve the issue. When the drags are backed off the spool spins forever. I would like to avoid placing an order for unnecessary parts and to resolve the issue myself as opposed to sending it to Philly. 

I've read in a prior post that certain fathoms were sold without the distance washer(s) part#154b (these 2 washers are currently present in the reel). I've also read that it may be a the thrust bearing assembly part#55T(I removed the bearing, inspected it, greased it and it looks fine), drag cam part#19 or a drag follower part#141. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to resolve the problem.

jzman

My 40nld2 is worse loses free spool at 10-12#. My best guess is its slight difference in tolerances in the cam.  If you look at the cam (in schematic is #19, part no 1296248) theres two divots that slope and I think that the lowest position is where the lever sits at freespool, so you would possibly grind both of divots where it bottoms out equally a little deeper.  This would relieve the clamping force being applied at free spool.  You probably wouldnt be able to fix it if u bought a new cam because it might have the same problem.  I sent my 40nld2 to cals 2 speed to be blueprinted at the PCS show just for this.  they said they are backed up and the reel will be ready in July  :( .

If you want to buy cams I would buy extras and goldilocks them to find the best one (if you feel lucky). I'm too lazy and would rather pay $95 + shipping for blueprinting.  I believe Alan Tani has experience with grinding cams and it looks like a lot of work.

jzman

If you have another Fathom 2 speed reel with working freespool, switch out the cams and see if the 40nld2 free spool improves.  This will confirm that its the cam. I think they all use the same cam.

steelfish

I sold my fathom 40LD2 because of that reason, the 40# max drag its faraway to be a real drag on that reel.

mine was showing a small handle binding at 10# strike  :-\  and that gave me around 18# full with a lot of handle binding.
The Baja Guy

jzman

A work around without messing with the reel that I learned from a deckhand in one of the LA landings is that you use Full instead of Strike for your working drag.  So lets say you use the 40nld2 for 60#, set the drag at 15# at Full.  When I do this my  strike is like 8-9# so strike is not used.  Basically anything above and below full is pretty non-usable drag because one or two clicks of the lever is like 1-2# of drag.  YMMV.

BobberMe

Quote from: jzman on March 06, 2023, 06:44:37 AMIf you have another Fathom 2 speed reel with working freespool, switch out the cams and see if the 40nld2 free spool improves.  This will confirm that its the cam. I think they all use the same cam.

I thought about that as well, but I only have a 40nld2 and 15nld2. The part#'s are different and do not share the same cam. I didnt want to risk messing up the cam in the 15N.

Bryan Young

Do these reels have spool bearing sleeves to keep the spool bearing properly apart or is it the short throw of the drag pressure plate to the drag washer? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jzman

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 07, 2023, 04:49:06 AMDo these reels have spool bearing sleeves to keep the spool bearing properly apart or is it the short throw of the drag pressure plate to the drag washer? 
Key No 13B part number 1309869 might be the spool bearing sleeve?

Bryan Young

yes, part 13B is the spool bearing sleeve.  Oh, I see Penn calls it the spindle sleeve. 

so as people mentioned before, likely loosing freespool is likely the result of the cam.  Maybe using a stronger spring, part no. 41 may also help

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

One thing that has tripled me up was getting the thrust bearing washers in correct alignment.  The washers have a groove that the thrust bearing rides in.  You may want to check it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

I played around with three of the 40 nld2 reels. One of them being my own and all of them got around 17 to 18 pounds at strike before losing free spool. There is only two fixes  that I know how to correct this issue. One of them being fishing the real as stated above, using full for your max drag. Doing this you will get way more drag than 17 to 18 pounds at full before losing free spool. The other is to send it to Cal Sheets to let them do their magic that they do on your reel.

People need to remember that the numbering on these reels represented the line test meant to be fished on them. So the 17 to 18 pounds at strike is plenty for a 40 lb test.

I know people especially us here on the West Coast like to  fish smaller reels. I use my 40 nld2 as a 60 lb test reell and I know I'm pushing the reel past its design. But 17 to 18 lb of drag  at strike on a 60 lb reel is fine in my opinion. If I need more drag I just move the lever past the strike position.

BobberMe

Quote from: Bill B on March 08, 2023, 04:18:16 PMOne thing that has tripled me up was getting the thrust bearing washers in correct alignment.  The washers have a groove that the thrust bearing rides in.  You may want to check it.  Bill

I know for sure everything is configured correctly because I spent way too much time inspecting every component

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 09, 2023, 01:51:51 AMI played around with three of the 40 nld2 reels. One of them being my own and all of them got around 17 to 18 pounds at strike before losing free spool. There is only two fixes  that I know how to correct this issue. One of them being fishing the real as stated above, using full for your max drag. Doing this you will get way more drag than 17 to 18 pounds at full before losing free spool. The other is to send it to Cal Sheets to let them do their magic that they do on your reel.

People need to remember that the numbering on these reels represented the line test meant to be fished on them. So the 17 to 18 pounds at strike is plenty for a 40 lb test.

I know people especially us here on the West Coast like to  fish smaller reels. I use my 40 nld2 as a 60 lb test reell and I know I'm pushing the reel past its design. But 17 to 18 lb of drag  at strike on a 60 lb reel is fine in my opinion. If I need more drag I just move the lever past the strike position.

Thank you for all the input. I'm still adamant about not sending the reel out for repairs because I'm looking forward to the satisfaction of resolving the issue myself, with some guidance. I'm in no hurry to fish the reel.