Model 210 breakdown

Started by Shellbelly, February 07, 2023, 06:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

This is a later model 210, much different than the original 1930s model.  The stand is stamped "Model B" which may be indicative of a True Temper era reel.  It's very close in size to a Penn Sailfisher 130 and the spool capacity is probably close as well.

This reel arrived with a 2-piece plastic arbor attached to the spool arbor with a pin that protrudes a little for attaching line.  The size of the hole in the spool arbor is larger than I'm accustomed to seeing so I'm guessing this intentionally came with the reel from the factory.  Possibly due to the "new" monofilament line/3 piece spool issues of the period...not sure but it's the first one I've seen on an OC trolling reel.  Fits perfectly and tight, seems sturdy and it's easy to remove.

The frame has 6 posts and a 3-screw stand.  3 of the posts' screws and 4 stand screws are hidden inside the rings so complete disassembly of the frame isn't necessary for routine servicing.  Kinda nice but the plates on this one were tight and I was concerned about breaking them.  Also, the reel was tough to operate and acted gummy.  I had to remove the clicker side bearing cap and, with a punch and jewelers hammer, tap lightly on the arbor to separate the reel.

There wasn't gobs of grease in there but what was present had almost solidified.  Cleaning was easy and the pics show a lightly used reel that had probably never been opened since new. 

Drags are external access and come out in a cup as an assembly which is nice and easy.  You can see how the cup fits into the main gear and drives the reel...pretty smart.  The dry washers came apart easily but are kind of flakey due to age, pretty small, and it's not a very deep stack.

If you look at the white card, you'll see a little round felt piece.  This was inserted at the end of the sleeve and pushed onto the end of the post.  It would be easy to mistake this as a gob of old grease and attack it as such.  Just drive the pin out, remove the sleeve, and push it out with a swab.  Soak it and squeeze out the mess or cut a new one.  Never run across that before, either.

I like not having to play with the dog and spring arrangement!

Reassembly was easy since the hidden screws are button-heads and fit into corresponding spots in the plates.  There are no hidden tricks to put the internals back in order.

The reel also came loaded with old stiff dacron.  I was so surprised to find a clean spool.  So many old OC reels have horrible spools.

I think it's a good well-built reel. With updated drags it would perform very well.  If the sleeve was 1/2" longer and the cup was deeper, a couple more washers could be added.  That would be a hotrod.  Maybe today's thin washers would allow additional washers?  Maybe so, but it's still a 3:1-ish reel.

I'm glad it found me.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

:)   Very nice write up .  This is another one of my favorite reels .  I see you found the felt oil reservoir in the sleeve .   The drags are pretty good for the size of them . I started to make a new cup for the drags that was going to be like a 609 ,were as two different diameters drag washers are used .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

Shellbelly

It's interesting to compare OC and Penn models.  Hard not to judge one against the other.  Easy to see the evolution of engineering and manufacturing. 

I'm on the hunt for a nice 109 now.  Looked at a couple, but they were pretty sad.  I missed a new one on the bay a while back....asleep at the switch again. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)