Surf Fishing tips

Started by Shellbelly, February 10, 2023, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

That's a cool-looking fish!  Those rips are fun to work bait in...especially where they turn or go around humps.  Think about jumping a 1 oz spoon on a retrieve against rips.  A couple of jumps like a mullet then twitch it as it sinks. 5:1 or faster reel helps.  It's a high rod tip trick, kinda risky if you get hit while you're pointing straight up.  Use that current!
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 23, 2023, 06:07:37 PMfound the rip current,
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

That fish was super tasty, and i got a lot of meat from it. And in FL theres no size limit.

I'll definitely be keeping any more of those if I catch them again. But that was the first in 3 decades of fishing so I'm not holding my breath.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 26, 2023, 07:06:47 PMBut that was the first in 3 decades of fishing
They like rocky stuff.  Was it like a sheepshead, big bones and all that?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

jurelometer

Cool fish. It is a grunt. More data from my favorite internet source:

https://mexican-fish.com/black-margate/

Normally found shallow on sloping rocky bottom as Shellbelly notes.

I have caught exactly one of its Pacific cousin.

https://mexican-fish.com/burrito-grunt/

Pulled pretty hard too! A really cool fish, but nobody gets impressed when you tell them that you caught a Burrito Grunt :) Black Margate sounds much better.

Looks like night fishing is the way to go for these guys.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah this one was caught around 8am. I guess he was running late.I'd say the bones were thick but closer to mangrove snapper than a sheep, save for one surprisingly beefy rib. Surprisingly big scales.

Apparently eating the large specimens is linked to ciguatera poisoning. Though by my limited understanding that's a regional thing.

Did you make a burrito out of it? I cooked my fillets in butter with some salt n pepper plus some garlic and a pinch of dry italian herbs in the pan. Surprisingly good. Not a super firm flesh but not mushy.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

Let him go.  Never saw one before.  My policy is never to keep a fish that might end up being  some sort of endangered species. Turns out that the locals think that they are tasty, and not considered  an at-risk species. 

I have all sorts of ridiculous rules.  Won't cast to  billfish.  Apologize if I hook a shark.  Used to release African pompano because they were too good-looking (until I tried some for sashimi).   Won't keep vieja (Mexican hogfish) because they look like something from Ren and Stimpy.

But if it is the first decent sized  cabrilla (leopard grouper) of the day or a not too big jurel (yellowtail jack), it will be invited for dinner without a shred of guilt.

I guess that I don't have to be too rational about the selection process since we are doing this for fun, and nothing about sportfishing is entirely rational.

-J

Shellbelly

Quote from: jurelometer on November 28, 2023, 05:03:32 AMI guess that I don't have to be too rational about the selection process
I agree.  Sometimes I release everything.  I've found myself just walking the beach with a rod, but not casting.  Then turn around and can barely see my vehicle.  Foggy days are my favorites.  Other times, I'm all business and will work it until I'm exhausted.  There are no rules, just opportunities.  In the winter, the solitude is gratifying.  Not hearing a human-generated sound for hours is a scarce and unique experience on the beach.  It's like a great song you haven't heard in a long, long time. 8)