Snap swivels for trout?

Started by wailua boy, February 14, 2023, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I've really only gotten into trout fishing for the last couple years. I've really enjoyed throwing flies but this weekend we are heading up and I'm just bringing my spinning rod and some spinning lures. I'm wondering what size people prefer to use for snap swivels or none at all. In the past I've just tried to find the smallest size available but I'm wondering if I'm ruining my presentation. Thanks for any comments.

Keta

If the spinner has a swivel I tie directly to it, no snap.  If you do use snap swivels smaller is better as they can interfear with the action and tangle with the hooks when casting.

For spoons I usualy use a snap swivel, for jigs I tie a 2' section of mono/fluro to the jig then attach it to the mainline with a swivel, no snap.  Jigs twist braid bad and snap swivels mess with the action.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

happyhooker

Base the size on the rest of your equipment; small for small stuff; larger for larger. An inch and a half snap doesn't cut it w/ 4 lb. rest line.  I prefer a swivel for spinners, but only a snap for spoons and hard baits.  I usually laugh at snaps for jigs and, heaven help us, for hooking directly to a bait hook!  They do have some very tiny hook-type snaps that you can use for larger flies, jigs, etc.

Frank