Shimano Baitrunner BTR-6500B

Started by cheshirekev, March 07, 2023, 06:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheshirekev

Hi all.  Many Many Thanks Alan for this forum!  You guys are the best!  I'm in need of a RD 7425 roller arm for a 6500B.  I destroyed mine trying to get the roller going again.  line roller screw died due to neglect, and the mess that insued after resulted in me breaking the extended part off of the bail arm.  Dumb design, but I want to get this old bird rolling again.  I've located all the needed parts to rebuild the roller, but this arm is a unicorn out there.  Can anyone help me out? I would consider buying a parts reel.... also, I am not particular about colors.  looks kinda like Stella 16000 had a similar design for a few years.  any guidance would be much appreciated guys.  Cheers!

Gfish

I broke the bail arm on mine(long gone now). I remember it as an odd fusion of graphite and aluminum. I have seen these reels on eBay. When it came to complete disassembly/clean/reassembly, this reel defeated me. I could not get the reassembly sequence right. Sold it as parts in a baggie.

Welcome to the Forum!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

I will take a look at the pile this evening.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Those Shimano Rear Drag Bait-Runners are tough to work on —- overly complicated, poor material choices, nearly impossible to find parts for without a donor reel, and parts break just taking them apart.

Above my pay-grade...

Best of luck...and Welcome!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

I didn't forget to look. I just underestimated what it will take to extract specific items from the pile until i take the time to get this organized.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

redsetta

G'day Kev,
They're one of the most common reels here in New Zealand - I genuinely couldn't count the number that I've worked on over the past 15-odd years.
The parts are still generally available and I've probably got an NOS one in my parts bin.
The roller assembly is a consistent failure point in these, as their design is a magnet for galvanic corrosion.
If you can't locate one closer to home, let me know and I'll post one over.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

handi2

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 08, 2023, 03:11:28 PMI didn't forget to look. I just underestimated what it will take to extract specific items from the pile until i take the time to get this organized.

Jason there are two Shimano spinning reel parts Plano boxes. I believe the bail arm needed is in the smaller one. Line rollers too.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cheshirekev

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 08, 2023, 03:11:28 PMI didn't forget to look. I just underestimated what it will take to extract specific items from the pile until i take the time to get this organized.
Thank you very much!

cheshirekev

Quote from: handi2 on March 08, 2023, 11:59:48 PM

Jason there are two Shimano spinning reel parts Plano boxes. I believe the bail arm needed is in the smaller one. Line rollers too.

Keith
Hey Keith.  I grew up in Gulf Breeze! Small world, appreciate you brother.  let me know. 

cheshirekev

Quote from: redsetta on March 08, 2023, 11:17:03 PMG'day Kev,
They're one of the most common reels here in New Zealand - I genuinely couldn't count the number that I've worked on over the past 15-odd years.
The parts are still generally available and I've probably got an NOS one in my parts bin.
The roller assembly is a consistent failure point in these, as their design is a magnet for galvanic corrosion.
If you can't locate one closer to home, let me know and I'll post one over.
Good luck, Justin
Thanks Justin.  I appreciate you sir!  I'll see what happens here and then bother you if I strike out!   

cheshirekev

Quote from: foakes on March 07, 2023, 09:05:48 PMThose Shimano Rear Drag Bait-Runners are tough to work on —- overly complicated, poor material choices, nearly impossible to find parts for without a donor reel, and parts break just taking them apart.

Above my pay-grade...

Best of luck...and Welcome!

Best, Fred
Thanks Fred, you speak the truth.