Playing with old reel parts - Penn 155 goof-around.

Started by Wolfram M, March 07, 2023, 10:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Turns out I have a pretty clean one of these with a metal spool.

So don't go deleting that design for plates when you're finished with it. I may have to place an order.

Crazy idea: a magnum build for the handle side plate. Which is to say sized to use gears from the next size up. One of these lil fellas with jigmaster gears would be super cool.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wolfram M

I've already been looking at that. Originally, the gears are 3.0:1 ratio, but using a 5C-209 gearset gets you 3.2:1 in the same spot with no other mods.

I think I could get it to 4.0:1 without much extra effort, but it'll have to wait a bit because I leave for Pensacola on Friday the 31st. Headed down to do some fishing around the bay bridges and off the piers and beaches.

Wolfram M

OK. I got the 29L-100 spool in (narrow spool) and the plan is to make spool shafts in this size, the 155 size, and the 200 size first. I need to get this correct before i can trim the spool in to the right size.

Once I have spool shafts to the correct length, making the spools to fit them consistently is much easier.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wolfram M

HA! I found a chunk of 3" OD, 2" ID aluminum tube waaaaaaay back on the stock shelf this afternoon. That'll do, I think.

This is going to get out of hand quickly once I get home from Pensacola.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Wolfram M on March 19, 2023, 08:09:37 PMHA! I found a chunk of 3" OD, 2" ID aluminum tube waaaaaaay back on the stock shelf this afternoon. That'll do, I think.

This is going to get out of hand quickly once I get home from Pensacola.
It`s about time you use that piece that you had for a couple years !!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wolfram M

Haven't done much with this over the summer, but school's starting back up again and I'll be back in the machine shop every day.

To "celebrate" I setup and laser cut a dozen stainless steel bridge plates out, and will turn some stainless bridge posts to suit in the next few weeks. Maybe by december break I'll have some stainless 3-155 bridge plates/posts finished up, I did finish two 29-200 size spools and I have fished with one of them once this summer.

Didn't get to go fishing nearly enough though, everything's getting too expensive and I have had to get registered and pay for college this fall (again...) to keep my job.

Wolfram M

Got a few minutes in the shop today and found some 17-4 stainless rod to make the bridge post out of, it can be hardened up easily so it won't wear out as badly as 304 or 316.

Mystic seems to have some 155 size stainless sleeves, so those are available.

The models have been made, and tooling ordered, to make the aluminum side plates. Maybe christmas? We'll see.

Wolfram M

Bridge plate billets are here. They'll get the post brazed in place, the bevel cut, and the holes tapped, and I can just move the post down about 0.125" and a 3-155 becomes a 3-200 bridge plate. I'll actually have to measure the difference and make the second drawing, but just holding the two side by side that's the only difference I can find.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wolfram M

I make moves at a glacial pace, and had some setbacks during the summer that have slowed a lot of things down, but I am hoping by winter break I'll have 12 reels worth of parts made.

I gotta get the original reel back together with the narrow spool and stand so I can put it on my new rod and learn how to use it-I have not attempted to use a conventional reel since I was 14 years old and it did not go well then.

I picked up a 10ft medium-heavy Penn Squadron III for 32$ new, I figure with the narrowed Beachmaster I can learn to throw that on the surf next to the spinning setup. It will just take practice and time to learn.

Gfish

Awesome! Time ain't a thing if the parts come out right. Is the bevel needed on the bridge plates?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wolfram M

It might be, and the plate is slightly too thick already. The plates are 0.100" thick now and need to be 0.080" thick to match the originals. I turned the first post today, and it fits the plate and barely fits the sleeve so hopefully during the brazing process, which is also the heat treatment process, it will do what the heat sheet says it should do and shrink radially. I'm planning to furnace braze these so no riveted/peened over post that could potentially get loose somehow. I haven't heard of it being a real problem though so probably just overkill.

The furnace brazing does let me integrate the 17-4 stainless heat treatment into the brazing operation, so I'm catching two fish on the same drop here.

Donnyboat

Sounds good watching this closely, keep it coming, thanks cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wolfram M

Broke of a 5-40 tap drill in the first half-frame today. Didn't even make it half-way through the program and the stock relaxed enough to loosen up in the vise, when I started drilling it took two holes to pull it up out of the vice and sling it into the chip pan.

I'll try again monday.