Salmon Season Cancelled in California for 2023

Started by foakes, March 15, 2023, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

scrinch

It's a shame that it has come to this. Less water, competing interests for the water that there is, degradation of spawning habitat, and of course pressure from fishing, have put the salmon in a bad way. I wonder if this will lead to any further limitations to salmon fishing further north? I read that the king and silver salmon limits in SE Alaska are pretty much the same as last year, at least currently.

Gfish

Hmmmm, gettin some water this year. So, maybe in another 4 years the numbers will go up? Then again, this year,  is the anadromous spawning habitat getting flushed/cleaned out or wiped out?

My heart goes out to people making a living in the natural resources fields, it's a real iffy thing from season to season. Anything can happen and you might godda shut down your operations. "How am I gonna make my boat payments?" Guberment managers godda do what they godda do and nobody's ever satisfied...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

My most favorite pacific coast target. I find it odd after two consecutive years of catching beautiful kings over 20lbs on almost every single trip that their return numbers fell so low this year. I have followed and participated in the online PFMC meetings over the past few months and this closure was expected following the reports on early return numbers.
Still painful once the decision was finalized. 2024 will likely have some restriction as well. Looks like if you want to fish Salmon this year the PNW is the only game on the Pacific. The halibut aren't to happy with this decision either as it means that many of the boats like mine who would otherwise be chasing Kings will now be targeting them.

kevin cozens

we also have a problem here in the UK. due to warmer waters the salmon are not entering the rivers to breed. if it gets any worse salmon anglers will be swapping their salmon rods for coarse or sea gear

Gfish

Kevin, you have Atlantic salmon over there, any other salmonid species?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!