Puerto Vallarta, March 16-20, 2023 - Third time is a charm!

Started by alantani, March 16, 2023, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Quote from: boon on March 23, 2023, 08:01:36 PMOn the rail, ok. Low gear, ok. But on the rail in low gear while the deckhand pinch-pulls line onto the reel?

After a 1 1/2 hours and 35# of drag, I take all the help I can get.  Back to back 150# bluefins nearly killed me.  If I was fishing 10# of drag no problem, but higher drag numbers (25+) for an extended period (20+ minutes), save that for the youngsters.

YMMV... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

I had my 338# BFT almost to the boat in less than 45 minutes....then the large mako chased it around for what seemed like hours. 

I do not fault anyone getting help if needed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Quote from: alantani on March 24, 2023, 04:33:57 AMyeah, not enough drag.   ???

That fish was way out of the rod/reels weight class.  I brought a knife to a gun fight.  After watching the video I could see the rod tip at 90* numerous times plus the tangles allowed the fish to rest way too much.  Seems like I could never get his head up.  Bill

Keta

If you weren't being so rude and tangling with everyone on the boat it would have been easier....  ;D

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B on March 24, 2023, 04:40:58 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 24, 2023, 04:33:57 AMyeah, not enough drag.   ???

That fish was way out of the rod/reels weight class.  I brought a knife to a gun fight.  After watching the video I could see the rod tip at 90* numerous times plus the tangles allowed the fish to rest way too much.  Seems like I could never get his head up.  Bill

I though you were always using Marla's own equipment
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Alex I'm speaking about the June SOA trip last year.  I was using 80# on a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 and was nearly beat by an extremely angry tuna. 

Bill B

Quote from: Keta on March 24, 2023, 07:42:31 PMIf you weren't being so rude and tangling with everyone on the boat it would have been easier....  ;D

Now that's funny 🤣🤣🤣

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B on March 24, 2023, 08:12:40 PMAlex I'm speaking about the June SOA trip last year.  I was using 80# on a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 and was nearly beat by an extremely angry tuna. 

gotcha
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Quote from: Bill B on March 24, 2023, 08:13:33 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 24, 2023, 07:42:31 PMIf you weren't being so rude and tangling with everyone on the boat it would have been easier....  ;D

Now that's funny 🤣🤣🤣

That fish was making such huge circles that even though you were at the bow, it'd pick up guys fishing off the stern... that's why you had such a large audience... everyone else had given up!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

70' + circles.  I was in the far corner and got to join in the fun.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

90 degree rod tip sounds perfect to me! Real fishing!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Now you all are making me feel bad about all that... :d   

Keta

Mark Twain

Cor

Quote from: Bill B on March 25, 2023, 03:24:42 AMNow you all are making me feel bad about all that... :d   
The way I see it some others are rude to a friend.
I know the feeling you get when pulling Yellowfin.   Pretty tough and determined fisherman I would suggest to land that size on your own. :d
Cornelis