Fools Gold

Started by Maxed Out, March 19, 2023, 12:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Ask any Penn collector and they will agree that a centerpiece to any collection would be a legitimate item or reel from the Martha Henze Penn Reel estate sale back in 2003.

At the moment there is a boxed squidder on eBay that seller claims he bought from that estate sale. "The reel has never been out of the box" according to the listing. Also states "nicest squidder to exist", but nobody can see the reel. The tissue paper coverss it and best view is about 1/2 of the red knob. No bill of sale from the south Bay auction house, but there is a notary stamped paper that says "estate of Martha Henze", but the seller is keeping that. It says just showing proof it came from the auction, but he's keeping that supposed vindication of the reels origin. So whoever might jump off a cliff to roll the dice will be left with just a ordinary boxed squidder from 1957. I'm calling it fools Gold. Buyer beware
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Midway Tommy

Probably keeping the doc for the next Penn item sale.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

I saw that one too, even the seller can't establish the provenance really, that embossed paper doesn't prove anything. Nice box though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shellbelly

Thanks for the heads-up.  Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.  Keeping the provenance to yourself is no different than keeping the handle that we only get to peek at.  The buyer should get fingerprints lifted and find out if the "story" is true...for that kind of money.  That would be an interesting "poker face" moment.

A picture of her holding that reel would be the real deal.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Maxed Out

Let's keep in mind that Martha Henze didn't have "normal" Penns in her estate. A green 350 level line, a green 349h, a red 9/0 are a few examples. These were special made by Penn employees as gifts to Martha.

Now, if the squidder seller lifted the rice paper to reveal a green 140 squidder, I'd be hitting that "buy it now" button. No provenance required !! My guess is it's a standard black 140 squidder
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 19, 2023, 03:09:26 AMNow, if the squidder seller lifted the rice paper
In fact, he TORE the paper to show the handle. (get a rope)  In addition, he had to remove the reel to get the catalog out and put it back. Even in the best environmental conditions, the reel should have been inspected and responsibly cared for some time in 66 years.  Condensation happens. Grease separates and solidifies.  Reels leak.  I see little green spots simply because I can't see anything. 

Even if the listing is factual, it is inept.  If all is true, the reel shouldn't be listed on the bay.  It's on another level.  That's white glove territory IMO.  I would have to prepare a place for such a reel.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Gobi King

The box says $25, good price :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

I have to agree with all of the opinions above —-

And there are many much more experienced folks on this site than me.

If the reel had green, blue, orange, or mottled sideplates —- it would be worth at least 4 times what he is asking.

If a new example of a regular Squidder —- while in great shape as a combo —- it is worth less than half of what he is asking.

I have made a good living for over 50 years by understanding human nature —- and discerning truth from fiction.  Always was paid 100% commission —- so to do anything successfully for that long, does take a little more than luck.

This gentleman's words are a little too much and a little too sweet —- and what he thinks an unknowing buyer would want to hear.

Hard to believe anything he states because he is playing games.

He basically got caught with his pants down, fishing in a neighbors pond —- expecting the rubes to just gobble up his bait.

I think he was doing a little lure casting, fully intending to stop the auction if necessary.  He was using eBay to gauge the possible interest.

Looking at his previous listings of mostly postcards — this could have also been a stepping stone to a more elaborate con going forward (hey, I just sold an historical spinner for $500.  Here are a few more items).

If legitimate, one would not offer this on eBay, as Shellbelly said.  And Ted (an expert's expert on Penn's) knows this well.

There are always exceptions, and always weird things that are possible —- but like Ted sez —- "buyer beware".

I would like this to be legitimate — but the odds are 90% against it without any more solid information, proof, and documentation.

After a brief conversation with the seller last night —- he pulled the listing early this morning.

Here was my conversation with him —- he is smooth, but also a little too smooth.  It would be nice to be proven wrong in my and other's assessments —- but...

Regardless, playing games with folks like this —- is a waste of time, resources, and integrity.  Plenty of reels out there —- good to just move on.

Best, Fred

——————————————————————————

Here is the conversation string —-

New message from: 631guy (312)

Hi Fred , I thought about it last night and wondering why I never did take it out of box and wrapping paper . To me it's like a perpetual Christmas present , never opened. The joy to me is not knowing, the mystery of a reel kept the way Martha kept it all those decades before she passed . I do appreciate your interest and might list it in the future .

Your previous message

Let me know, Guy —

I am a very experienced Penn collector for well over 40 years. I am not wasting your time.

But I need to know the color of the sideplates — before I buy it.

Thanks, Fred

631guy:
Hi Fred , I'll think about it ,

Your previous message

It wouldn't hurt anything to just pull up the packing paper to see what color the sideplates are.

You wouldn't even have to touch the reel.

I would need to know before doing a buy-it-now.

Thanks, Fred

631guy:
Hi Fred , I have no idea , never unwrapped reel or took out of box , always kept reel as I bought it that day from estate sale . I felt it was better to keep it that way . I Also purchased a penn 704 reel new in box with a black torpedo handle . The green models always had white handles as far as I know . I also bought a box full of new reels the penn company used to compare their competitors. The reels had notes in their boxes , I haven't looked at those in 20 years.. Guy

Your previous message

Hi, Fred here —-

Can you please tell me what color the sideplates are on this reel?

I am very interested.

Thanks, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

I sent a message as well.  I didn't get ugly but only asked why he would keep essential documentation that contains most of the value to a collector.  Removing the listing was a good move on his part.  He went a little over his skis with that.   

nelz

Maybe he's just really, really OCD about keeping things boxed/wrapped ;D

Just kiddin'  ::)

Midway Tommy

Anyone that would keep the provenance documentation of any collectible is truly up to no good.  >:D  ;) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 19, 2023, 08:52:54 PMAnyone that would keep the provenance documentation of any collectible is truly up to no good.  >:D  ;) 

You are right, Tommy —-

Another funny hole in his story —-

If he has never removed the tissue wrapping paper, as he claims —- how does he even know it is a Squidder?

All he has to go by is the box —- could be a SurfMaster, or??

I might have been born yesterday —- but it was early in the morning.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: foakes on March 19, 2023, 10:49:14 PMI might have been born yesterday —- but it was early in the morning.
If nothing else good came from this, at the minimum I'm keeping that line. Thank you good sir.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Good story/warning info.
Sometimes I wonder what it'ed be like, to not have to be so careful about being cheated by so many _____'s out there in this world. Makes me angry and cynical. I can laugh at the follies of others and at my own, but not when it comes to being cheated for personal gain.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

I think it is just another way to claim no responsibility for what you are trying to sell.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare