6600 C5 MagX

Started by Shellbelly, March 20, 2023, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 21, 2023, 05:49:39 AMAll right, I've lost what I typed three times now, trying to figure out how to post a few pictures of the parts that you need!
There are no numbers on the mag array!
But I know that mag array holder also goes to the Mag elites, AL Mag Trax reels and I do believe, the sports mags as well!

EA

If you have a pic or even a pic of the diagram that would be very helpful. The abu bin has no labels on parts but I can visually match.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Jackpot LMAO!
I think I figured it out. Lol.690FCA00-65C0-4D77-967D-BC5DB23EBCEA.jpeg614F71B0-1D93-490B-89AC-BE4B95234F33.jpeg1B61B5FD-1641-459D-9474-F9BFEFE8F951.jpeg603ACB38-AC70-40CF-9D33-054EE0633BC8.jpeg   

ExcessiveAngler

All right, not sure why it posted doubles of the pictures, but at least they're there lol!
As far as performance, for my reel, I love the way it casts, just have to get used to that slider for the mags that's all!
I was actually trying to get it dialed in for field casting, but have other reels for that!

EA

JasonGotaProblem

Perfect now I know what to look for.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 21, 2023, 03:59:30 PMPerfect now I know what to look for.
That's awesome, I'm glad I could be of service and always happy to help others out, anyway I can!
Now I gotta figure out why none of the emojis will show up!
Pretty sure it has something to do with my browser!

EA

pointbob

not sure if it fits; but at least you can see what it looks like..they do show up on fleabay once in a while...also try mikes reel repair in canada...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165880135296?nma=true&si=bEeLaNAnLqwRCAU8FEuKjFfjvAI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Patience comes to those who wait

Shellbelly

That looks close.  All I have is a poorly drafted schematic.  Looks like it was done on a etch-a-sketch.

Well, progress is progress and I'm most grateful.

Lastly, the reel does work.  Here's proof.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Shellbelly

I guess this would be a good time to give a bit of a performance review.  The conditions were rough.  4-6' surf @ 3-5 seconds.  Booming and loud with 20 mph wind in my face.  Terminal tackle is roughly a 30" articulated steel leader with a 3/4 oz slip sinker on the top section.  Small circle hook with half a shrimp.  All of that on a 9'6" fast rod.  17# big game.  The rod was a good helper. 

That's not much weight to throw into the wind, and it's a floppy rig.  I was getting 40-60 yards out of it and that's not bad in these conditions.  I was having to put some work into it, though.  The sheepshead spawn is about to get hot, so that was the target I rigged for.

The reel seemed sluggish in casting.  Retrieves were smooth as silk.  I made some adjustments, but the wind was hard to compensate for.  I had no over spooling at all.  That's great given the light tackle.  That sheepy took some drag and I made a small adjustment to turn it.  I didn't get another bite.  I cast the reel A BUNCH.

Sluggish casting...I think the lube is too thick.  I'll deal with that before I use it again. 

While the conditions were restrictive, I think they put the reel to a good test.  I had to whip it to get the bait into the zone and the last 5 or 10 yards was all hang-time in that wind then the leader dropped straight down.  Perfect time for a backlash.  The fish wasn't all that big, so I can't say much about that.  I was hoping to hang a limit of 20" sheepshead.  That would have been a good test.

Is the model worth 150 bucks?  Nope.  Especially since my first new Abu was 35 bucks and has very little PLASTIC inside.  I like the reel, though.  It'll be fun.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 21, 2023, 11:27:57 PMThat looks close.  All I have is a poorly drafted schematic.  Looks like it was done on a etch-a-sketch.

Well, progress is progress and I'm most grateful.

Lastly, the reel does work.  Here's proof.
Looks like you're on some structure there!
We get big sheeps up this way, sometimes over 15 pounds lol!
What rod is that?  At 9'6" that thing looks like a beast lol!
Also, is that a swivel I see sticking out of his mouth?

EA

Shellbelly

This was in the surf.  The hole I chose is deep and has a sand/clay/shell bottom.  Good sheepshead territory.

Well, there's the frankenrod.  I found a broken AllStar Gulf Stream on the beach.  Cut it square above the foregrip.  Cut off the back end.  Shoved a Loomis blank up the tail end and shimmed it inside....about 15 years ago.  It's due for a re-do.  Kind of a hybrid surf rod and wade fishing rod.  The length and handle help me out when wading in deep water, like under birds, or if something is blowing up past the second sandbar.  It's good to 4oz on the bottom and will throw spoons and topwaters.  Funny that it was an experiment and turned out to be the best multi-purpose rod I have ever owned.  It is butt-ugly, though.

That is a swivel.  You can't see the tiny circle hook in his mouth.  I use that kind of leader when I'm looking to see who is feeding.  Catch it, change hooks, throw it back out there, and keep climbing the food chain.  Live bait can still flop around on it and get some attention.  I have another one that's 4' with a 2oz egg for 6"+ live bait.  Quick and easy to make.   

JasonGotaProblem

Sometimes I wonder if my rigs are too pretty, and I might catch more if I fished uglier tackle.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 22, 2023, 07:25:38 PMSometimes I wonder if my rigs are too pretty, and I might catch more if I fished uglier tackle.
Well, surf fishing is hard on stuff.  ALL your stuff.  It'll get ugly.  Figuring stuff out in that water is what catches fish. ;) 

ExcessiveAngler

Darn I hate when I type up some thing and it disappears after a minute or two!
Nothing like a good old All-Star story!
All-Star happen to be one of my all time favorite rods/blanks, and are still keeping up with the best of them today!
Have 5 or 6 of them here now, and sold one off not too long ago that I shouldn't have!
And you want to talk about taking a beating!
Currently looking for one with a 9' tip and the old tournament butt, I think it was called the 1509!

All of my sheep's have come off of structure, bridge pilings, rock piles, or deep holes, but always have structure nearby!
You very rarely catch them up here, without them, being on some type of hard structure!

EA

Shellbelly

The Houston rods were some of the best products out at the time.  Down here, everybody aspired to get one or most fishermen had at least one.  Some of the inshore guides outfitted their customers exclusively with them.

Then, the inevitable migration to China disease began within AllStar.  Finding a good one with a Houston label can be a challenge.

JasonGotaProblem

No luck in my bin. But these come in small and large.