Just another newcomer

Started by Dragalioun, March 20, 2023, 12:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragalioun

Hello folks, pleasure to be on this site now  :D

I've been lurking on this site for a few months now but figured it was about time to make an account. I've been working on reels for only a few months (Basically all older Penns, still a growing collection  ^-^ ) and so am still a novice at it but I enjoy it which is all that matters. Just don't mind my idiotic questions at times

Funnily enough, I went to a thrift store in the area yesterday and ended up coming out with a very old Penn Long Beach! Far as I can tell, it's a 1938 or earlier reel, and I got it fairly cheap! Came out a happy camper, just a little welcome photo for you all

I hope to interact more around here as the days pass, just hope you'll have me!
- Jean

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

Welcome   Nice work horse project you have there..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

Welcome! Nice score; Ted and Dom will drooling a bit on that one and date it for you most likely. Wooden knob, waffle click, yep it's pretty old.

John

Bill B

Good to have you here.  Bill, SoCal mountains
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Jean!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Welcome aboard Jean. Nice reel, that's actually an early resin knob, not wood, pretty rare.

Dragalioun

Quote from: nelz on March 20, 2023, 03:44:59 PMWelcome aboard Jean. Nice reel, that's actually an early resin knob, not wood, pretty rare.

Really? That's very interesting, guess I got more than I expected. It makes sense in hindsight because it didn't feel at all like how I expected it to if it was wood but I never made the connection

Donnyboat

Nice find Jean, would love to see it after you clean it up, & welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

That should clean up nicely. Hope we see more of you on here
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Welcome Jean. 

That's an oldie for sure. Can't wait to see her all spit polished.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shellbelly

Welcome!

I love it when that happens at a thrift store.

Caution!  In your first photo.  Look closely at the raised area around the bushing.  Looks like a crack.  May not be, but it just looks like it.  It's a good idea to take these photos and examine things you don't normally see.  If it's cracked, reach out and ask.  There are folks here who can give you some sound advice in removing the bushing and hopefully preserving the side plate.

First post, cool reel, AND a project.  Not bad!  It's fun in here.  Take a look around.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Greetings, Jean, from Minnesota USA.

Frank