Rovic 720.....an old school spinner that I cannot find any info on!

Started by mitchman, March 09, 2016, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

I originally posted this in the General section but no response, but this section may be more relevant. I have a Rovic 720 that I've owned for over 20 years and I was hoping that someone could tell me something about it because I can't find anything. It has a rear drag, push-button spool release, 2 ball bearings, 4.9:1 gear ratio, and holds 142 yards of 11lb test. I tried googling and seems like that it could be a Japanese brand? Its it in good mechanical and working condition for its age! Lastly, are these things worth anything?

Walter61

I just stumbled across this old thread while browsing.
It's late, but here's some info.
The Rovic reels were offered and sold in the late 70s early 80s in Munich by the Niedermeier company.
Here is a picture, on the left the Rovic 730 with box and on the right the Rovic Ranger 720. You can already see it from the outside, the brakes are similar to the ABU Cardinal.
Two great fishing reels, unfortunately I don't know the Japanese manufacturer.

Also from the time and also offered by Niedermeier, the Rovic DX-100.....
If wheels are also made in Japan, they could possibly be from Omori's workshop. But don't know.

Midway Tommy

It would be interesting to see the innards & drag design of those things.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Walter61

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 24, 2023, 06:19:55 PMIt would be interesting to see the innards & drag design of those things.

Will be made, here are the photos Tommy

Rovic 720 Ranger

Rovic 730

Rovic DX-100

Rovic DX-400

Walter

happyhooker

Lot of "stuff" jammed in the gearcase.  I note a drag engaging ahead of the geartrain (good) and what appears to be a bronze pinion gear (also OK).  Might be a steel main gear, but hard to tell.  Very interesting reels.

Frank

Midway Tommy

A lot of stuff packed into a small area! Interesting design.

Thanks, Walter!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Thanks for posting. Interesting. What kinda material are the spool, rotor and gear box made out of?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Walter61

Quote from: Gfish on March 25, 2023, 06:38:01 PMThanks for posting. Interesting. What kinda material are the spool, rotor and gear box made out of?

spool and rotor: metal, pinion: brass, drive wheel: "special alloy".