Daiwa Tanacom 500 - Service Advisory

Started by alantani, April 10, 2023, 03:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Now that deep water fishing off the California coast will be available,  many of you will be fishing with electric reels. The Daiwa Tanacom 750 would be a good choice.

I have a set of Daiwa Tanacom 500's from several years ago that were intended for my fishing in depths down to 300 feet. I changed out the line from 65 pound Jerry Brown solid to 50. I got almost 400 yards.

One reel failed. While spooling up the reel, I burned out a bronze bushing and melted the side plate. The line was being spooled under a 4 pound load. I just ordered a $72.20 right side plate. I'm going to hold off on the $38 main gear and the $28 pinion gear.  When I put the reel back together,  we will see if there is damage to the gears. Visually,  the gears look fine. Most importantly,  I'm going to switch out all of the bushings for a 5x8x2.5mm bearing with lots of grease.

Can't believe that the damned thing failed so easily. 😔
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

That is disappointing, Alan —-

But unfortunately, it is becoming more and more the norm with modern reels.

Glad parts were still available —-

That is another thing that is not always a given nowadays. 

Expensive parts & reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Is that steel-looking gear sleeve stock?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Graphite composite or aluminum side-plate, Boss?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The problem here is using a bushing in a graphite/plastic sideplate.

When the high prolonged speeds of an electric reel under pressure heat up the bushings —- they will melt the sideplate.

When spooling up or fishing —

I wonder if a bearing of the proper sizing would be a fix or an improvement to prevent this going forward?  Might be worth a try.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jzman

When spooling the reel with line do you use the electric reel's own power or do you use the line winder motor onto the handle?

alantani

alantani

Quote from: Gfish on April 10, 2023, 03:59:54 PMGraphite composite or aluminum side-plate, Boss?

the side plate was "quick-melt plastic!"

alantani

Quote from: foakes on April 10, 2023, 04:08:36 PMI wonder if a bearing of the proper sizing would be a fix or an improvement to prevent this going forward?  Might be worth a try.

Best, Fred

it's a 5x8x2.5mm stainless steel bearing!

alantani

Quote from: jzman on April 11, 2023, 08:47:15 AMWhen spooling the reel with line do you use the electric reel's own power or do you use the line winder motor onto the handle?

on the heavy duty winder, which was part of the problem.  i was going too fast. 

Keta

I was gifted a little used 750 when my friends from Lakeview moved to Alabama.  It is a Japanese model and the read out is hard to understand but I plan on  using it for long leader fishing.  I might set it up to jig for deep pacific halibut too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jzman

Electric reels are a lot cheaper overseas than in the U.S.  But you will have to be ok with having no warranty, no parts support, and no English menu.  I don't know if Tanacoms sold in Japan are part-for-part equivalent to the Tanacoms sold in the U.S though.

5 years ago, I bought the cheapest electric reel Shimano makes which is called the Plemio (only sold in Japan and Southeast Asia), ~$250 including shipping.  No fancy functions like jigging.

Fishead

I just got one. Now ya got me worried about it. I filled it using the motor. It got pretty warm, hope I didn't do same thing to mine. The handle side doesn't look that difficult to get into. Many have said do not try it but seeing this one apart, it looks doable.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!