501 Line Capacity

Started by Finest Kind, March 29, 2023, 12:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finest Kind

I  was wondering if someone could help me with this. I just changed a Jigmaster 500S to a 501. I would like to spool it with #65 spectra (4 carrier).I was wondering if this reel will hold 300 yards or so. Thank you in advance for the advice and all the excellent information on this site!
Best, John

Dragalioun

Unfortunately I can't give you an exact answer from my own testing but I can try to give you a good estimate.
65 Pound Power Pro Maxcuatro (Which is a 4 strand braid, is that what you mean by 4 carrier?) is approximately the size of 12lb mono line and the Jigmaster 501 is stated to hold about 500 yards of 12lb mono (Mystic Parts) so you should be able to put 300 yards and even a nice sized mono topshot if you'd like!

JasonGotaProblem

Mine holds barely 300yds of 50# 8x j-braid. Sad to say I doubt it'll hold 300 yds of 65#
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Ron Jones

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 29, 2023, 03:31:13 AMMine holds barely 300yds of 50# 8x j-braid. Sad to say I doubt it'll hold 300 yds of 65#
I'm not certain how that works. Alan put 300 yards of 65# PP on my 100 Surfmaster. I would think the 500 yards is correct for a 501 spool.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JasonGotaProblem

Maybe he wound it a lot better. Surprised the heck outta me too. The 8x is fatter, but that much fatter?

Finest Kind

I don't have a line counter on the spooler I have, I usually just wind line on until the reel is full. I am going to put metered power pro on this reel that I'm going to use for jigging stripers, bluefish, and school bluefins. The Tuna are why I care about line capacity, of course. I have only used mono and much heavier tackle for offshore fishing in the past, but reading on this site I realize it's possible to use smaller reels like the 501 and 113H for big fish, especially with the Tanked reels that members have developed.I have a bulk spool of #65 so I think I will try it. If I don't get to 300 yds, I'll take it off and get some #50. Thanks again.
John

JasonGotaProblem

Very reasonable. 300yds is my "fighting chance minimum" for when there's a chance of hooking up to something big by surprise.

Gfish

Yup. 300yds., 50lb. Power-pro + 10 yds. 40lb, mono., on a modded 501 with a Tiburon spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Here the link to the Penn Reel Comparison is did a number of years ago.  It show 365 yds of 60#.  YMMV.  Bill

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=12979

And a link to the thread below

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14346.0
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Finest Kind

Thank you Bill. That's a very helpful table. I'm still waiting for some parts, but when I spool it up I will post how much line I got on the reel. The metered power pro is marked every five feet and changes color every twenty five, so if I don't lose track, I should be able to figure it out!
John

JasonGotaProblem

Look i'm far from the smartest guy in the room here. I just can't imagine why the fellow would tell me i got less than i did. The opposite would have a financial incentive. If the consensus is I'm wrong then ignore me.

Bill B

One thing to keep in mind is the spool arbor.  A 114H with a chromed bronze spool will hold the same amount of 100# mono as an Aluminum spool on a 114HLW.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

WOW! That seems like a big difference. I have the 114HLW spool and a 114HL, so no comparison(both are aluminum spools). So forget about the 501 Tiburon spool capacity, unless you go with one of those.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 29, 2023, 10:25:44 PMLook i'm far from the smartest guy in the room here. I just can't imagine why the fellow would tell me i got less than i did. The opposite would have a financial incentive. If the consensus is I'm wrong then ignore me.
There can be a HUGE variation in how much braid you get on a spool. Alan is a master at putting lots of line on tight, I wouldn't sweat it and enjoy your reel.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Finest Kind

I just spooled a 100 Surfmaster with #65 Power Pro metered. It took exactly 800 ft.=267 yds.as listed on the Penn reel comparison table. Thanks Bill! That is an excellent resource. Pro Challenger spool on the reel. The 501 I was asking about also has a Pro Challenger spool.Should hold all the #65 that I need. Thank you for the input everyone.
John