Squidder 140 spool questions

Started by Flat Top, June 25, 2023, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Mulling this one over - what about hollow braid?  I would think that due to the nature of the beast it has to be round in some state, but then again any attempt to measure it will "crush" it and certainly under load it will lose diameter/gain length (hence why those Chinese Finger Trap splices work so well).  And while it is on a spool, it certainly cannot be round.  But then again, as I think about it my spools of Izorline Dacron are most definitely hollow AND are most definitely flat as well...- john

Swami805

I think you measure a line around the outside of the fibers, convert that to the circumference of a circle and come up with a diameter that way. I don't know, all of it seems like fuzzy gorilla math/science anyway
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Flat Top

Jurelometer; I think its apple to oranges (mono vs braid). Each line has its negative and positive properties, and methods of measurement, etc. I have found that for my purposes a combination of braid main line and mono shock leader serve those purposes very well. I have the shock leader which protects the main line (braid) from stress during hard casting and protects the main line from abrasion (as I said before I fish some pretty gnarly spots). The braid offers me a smaller diameter than mono of the same # which aids in casting and I have a near direct link to the fish because of it minimal stretch. My buddy uses mono and yes he catches fish....my hook up rate is much greater than his and I attribute that to the braid main line. What I am looking for is 100 yards with my 40 lb braid/50 lb mono shock leader set up and if I can get that I will be a happy camper....if not I will have to reconsider this undertaking.
Overkill....is way underrated.

Flat Top

Brewcrafter, Swami805, Juleromoter: There have been exhaustive tests by Sportfishing Magazine, IGFA, you tubers, etc, on line diameters, stretch rates, line strengths, knot strengths, abrasion resistance of both mono and braid...interesting reading/viewing. How it relates to real world use of both lines is up to the individual fisherman. What may work in one setting may not work in another...what works best for me may not work for you....so we have to go with what we got! One thing for sure, if I find a better way of doing this I will jump on it in a New York minute!

Flat Top

Got the Squidder 140 out this morning but only for a few minutes (hot and humid...miserable). I took three casts easy and gentle, more of a lob than a cast across a baseball field in the park...the field is 66 yards wide. Using the plastic spool with 40 lb braid (KastKing Super Power) and a 50 lb Trilene Big Game shock leader, a 3 oz weight, and a 12' medium heavy rod, the cast easily made it across that field! I was amazed at the ease at how the Squidder casts... easy to control, and just a very light thumb pressure at the end of the cast...no birds nest. This reel is SWEET and I can see why it is so popular.

I still have some testing to do...aluminum spool, mono, etc, but I will wait till I get to the lake where I really have some room to let it rip! I will measure the casting distance with a line counter, but so far 100 yards looks easy!

ExcessiveAngler

So here's a question? So,now that I have the 140L and 146L, what to do!
And I have two plastic spools for the 140 one brand new in the small box, and one with Dacron on it, so I was thinking!
Has anybody ever made a mag kit, like they did for the Daiwa slosh's with the graphite spools? That Daiwa kit came with an aluminum washer, you could glue to the spool, so you could mag it!
I'm thinking the 140 reel, will cast much further with the lighter plastic spool!
I was like to mag, one or both of these reels, but not sure if I want to mess them up aesthetically, to do so?
For myself, personally! I would like to have some braking options, other than just the use of my thumb lol!
I haven't had either one of these a part yet, except I popped the side plate off the  146! It's pretty darn neat, one screw with a twist and the whole handle side is off the reel, and looks pretty darn good inside!
I don't know, maybe I can get away with just using straight 30 pound mono, as the main line on the 140 with the plastic spool
Not sure, what to do yet, after I service them, and hopefully have no problems lol!
And you said you're using 40 pound braid on your 140, brave man lol!

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler; Just my opinion, but the 140 really doesnt need a mag set up...it casts like a dream. If you are worried about slicing your thumb you can thumb the spool, not the line, or wear some kind of thumb protector. I make my own out of pig skin and after it is sewn, wet down, and shrunk to fit my thumb it works like a champ...it is a very thin hide, is tough, and has great feel.

I was going to use mono on my plastic spool but decided against it. I have seen metal spools distorted from mono line and did not want to take the chance of cracking the plastic spool. I put mono on my aluminum spool for test purposes and wound it with very little pressure. After my testing is done I may change over to braid. I have only used Dacron and braid so I am not very familiar with mono.

Regardless of what you do you have two great reels...congratulations!