Spinning reel line keeper...?

Started by guzziquick, April 05, 2023, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guzziquick

Does anyone have a tip/recommemdation for a simple but nice line keeper on an open-face spinning reel (Quick 110N, 220N, 330N, specifically)? Something that'll simply hold the line on the spool when it's off the rod? Rubber bands work, of course. I'd just like to find something more purpose-built. Thanks!

Midway Tommy

Rubber bands have a tendency melt or get brittle and fall apart. I just loop the end of the line under a couple of line wraps on the spool & pull it tight, but I've seen guys use 6" hook & loop ties.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Get some of those circular stretchy hair thingys that women use.  I've seen them diff. sizes; the ones about 1 1/2 or 2 in. across usually fit, depending on the reel.  And. inexpensive.

Frank 230405

foakes

Quote from: happyhooker on April 06, 2023, 02:12:43 AMGet some of those circular stretchy hair thingys that women use.  I've seen them diff. sizes; the ones about 1 1/2 or 2 in. across usually fit, depending on the reel.  And. inexpensive.

Frank 230405

That is exactly what I use also.

I think they are around a buck for 30, or so —- at Dollar General.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Endorse both Frank and Fred's excellent suggestion.  As the father of a young daughter, I can only offer the suggestion to use the work "scrunchy" in your search... - john

philaroman

done w/ "naked" rubber bands for ANY fishing application
get thee to the dollar-store: little velcro cable straps;
cloth-covered bands & other round stretchy hair accessories;
weekly pill planners are WAY cheaper than hook boxes; etc.

Catching Nemo

I cut off the elastic string from facemasks, and use those like a rubber band