Full Syn Automotive Oil

Started by hotajax, April 08, 2023, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I use tsi 321 cut with ethanol,

This is my fav syn motor oil as lube if I am not reaching out for grease, specially for hard to reach stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Fuel-Economy-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-16-1-qt/805628775

flows like water.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

UKChris1

Before I 'fell' for the 'need' for posh reel oil, I used standard 20/50 multigrade motor oil and Castrol LM grease (from the days when I had to grease the various bits of the car myself each month) to maintain all my reels. Given that some of my reels are over half a century old and I had them from new and they still look like new even after a lot of use, I believe those lubricants were not too bad.

Mind you, I do use Rocket Fuel in my distance casting reels (Abu 6500C Mag Elite) for the beach, but the rest get motor oil and grease. A gallon can of oil and a pound tin of grease lasts a long time  ;D !

steelfish

any oil is better than no oil at all. ;)

that said, I feel better using a drop of a 4oz bottle TSI 321 oil for $19.99 on my $500 dlls reel than a drop of motorcraft 5w-20w synt oil and if that 321 oil is good for a $500 dll reel then should be great for my $35 - $70 dlls spinning reels, even servicing reels for my friends and personal reels that 4oz TSI bottle had lasted years.

Expensive is to buy a 16pc combo meal at KFC fo $49.99  :-\  :-\  or taking the kids to the movies  :'(  :'(
The Baja Guy

hotajax

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 08, 2023, 04:19:31 AMI spilled a quarter of my small bottle of TSI and it still lasted over a year and a half. And that was I think under $10. is that expensive? What am I missing?
You're not missing anything.  I'm frugal.  Also, if you wanna read some crazy stuff, go on gun forums and read the discussions about what is the best oil.

A few people asked the purpose for the oil:  Lube the bearings and center shaft on my good casting reels, and lube up the bail mechanism and rollers on my spinning gear. 

I do have a bottle of TSI-321, and it sure is clingy stuff.  I like it.   Appreciate the info.  Thanks.

hotajax

Quote from: UKChris1 on April 14, 2023, 10:19:18 AMBefore I 'fell' for the 'need' for posh reel oil, I used standard 20/50 multigrade motor oil and Castrol LM grease (from the days when I had to grease the various bits of the car myself each month) to maintain all my reels. Given that some of my reels are over half a century old and I had them from new and they still look like new even after a lot of use, I believe those lubricants were not too bad.

Mind you, I do use Rocket Fuel in my distance casting reels (Abu 6500C Mag Elite) for the beach, but the rest get motor oil and grease. A gallon can of oil and a pound tin of grease lasts a long time  ;D !
Question:  I have that reel, I think.  Here's all the descriptors:  Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite, the greenie.  I would love to know how to lube those bearings.  I took out the spool and squirted TSI-321 on the ends of the spool for an hour to soak in, then turned it around and did the same thing with the other bearing.  I'm sure there's a better way. 

Gfish

Quote from: Gobi King on April 10, 2023, 02:44:35 AMI use tsi 321 cut with ethanol,

This is my fav syn motor oil as lube if I am not reaching out for grease, specially for hard to reach stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Fuel-Economy-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-16-1-qt/805628775

flows like water.

Don't know about those 10,000 mile claims for automotive use, gobie. There's godda be some thermal breakdown and deposit build-up before then. I'mina stick to 5,000 for oil change intervals.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

My truck has 240K miles on the clock —- and I have always changed my oil & filter every 5K miles —- except the first change which was done at 2000 miles to flush and get rid of any new engine usage debris.

2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6.

I always use Mobil 1 Synthetic.

In addition, I check all fluids every 1000 miles, as a general practice.

Planning a 3000 mile trip in a couple of weeks —- so will change the oil a little prior to the mileage, check all fluids —- and greases, including PS, front and rear diffs, transfer case, coolant, manual trans, battery, washer fluid, all air filters, and all grease zerk fittings will be greased.

This also gives me a chance to inspect for any under vehicle leaks or evident under hood issues such as belts, vacuum lines, etc.

I pour the old oil into a container slated and marked for slash pile burning —- along with 10+ year old not needed records, and also a couple of boxes of stripped fishing line.

Will do the truck on Saturday.

While I think motor oil would do fine for reels —- I use oil specific to vehicles for vehicles & equipment —- and also I use reel oil —- WRL191S —- for reel work.

I need an oil that is salt-water resistant, stays in place when applied, works smoothly, and flushes out easily with solvents when the next service comes around.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Quote from: Gfish on April 20, 2023, 03:49:59 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on April 10, 2023, 02:44:35 AMI use tsi 321 cut with ethanol,

flows like water.

Don't know about those 10,000 mile claims for automotive use, gobie. There's godda be some thermal breakdown and deposit build-up before then. I'mina stick to 5,000 for oil change intervals.

10k miles, dunno, oil is cheap, I don't mind changing oil

Fred is on the $$$ with 5k or less for the first time.

I don't do my mine at a set mile, I use my chunky behind to gauge when I need to change oil, yeah I use synthetic but I use any major brand.

I idle a lot, I treat my vehicles like a boat, I go by hours ;-)

I have fuel dilution in my 3.5 twin turbo ford ecoboost.
I have super duper diesel fuel dilution in my 6.6 Duramax (Isuzu) diesel due to DPF clean cycle.

I idle as much as I drive. I clarify one point (not to cause controversy), I use synthetic for good flow at start up in cold MI temps, and most of my driving is 1 mile to middle school, 0.1 mile to grocery store, 4 miles to costco to gas up, 2 mile to play indoor tennis and workout.

I have never used a block warmer for my diesel and starts up in 1.5 crank at -17F after sitting for  a week.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

UKChris1

[/quote]
Question:  I have that reel, I think.  Here's all the descriptors:  Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite, the greenie.  I would love to know how to lube those bearings.  I took out the spool and squirted TSI-321 on the ends of the spool for an hour to soak in, then turned it around and did the same thing with the other bearing.  I'm sure there's a better way. 

[/quote]

Sorry for the delay. I simply unscrew them - the chrome caps containing the bearings - and clean them and their housing by immersing in lighter fuel a couple of times till no more brown comes out, leave them in a warm place on a paper towel or tissue to dry completely and then add a couple of drops of Rocket Fuel before screwing them back in place.  For a quick re-oil, I just put a drop of Rocket Fuel in the bearing housings after taking the reel apart and removing the spool spindle from each bearing in turn or just unscrew the caps with the reel in one piece, add a drop of the oil and replace the caps.. Nothing too complex.