Abumatic 60

Started by jeff smith, April 09, 2023, 01:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff smith

Guys,
I've just managed to acquire one of these beautifully made, but ultra simple spin caster reels for the princely sum of £10.
I need to strip the reel down for a full serivice but cannot seem to fathom how to remove the main shaft which has the pinion attached.
This will enable me to remove the main gear and the reel will be completely stripped.
Side plates, spool, flyer plus all handle components come apart easily but that's as far as I can go.
Any suggestions???
I know these reels were popular in Scandinavia and I'm always seeing pics etc of you guys over the pond using this 'style' of reel ( probably Heddons and Zebcos???) but not sure whether the Abumatics were popular.
There seems to be little info about them on here.

jeff smith

happyhooker

I do not have any 1st hand knowledge of this reel, but here is a schematic (attached .pdf) that may be of some help as you work on yours.  I would suspect that the main (aka drive) shaft comes out before the pinion (aka winding) shaft, but perhaps another AT member with more familiarity as to this reel can be of more specific help.

Abu and Abumatics were/are popular reels in the US.  Probably the most popular older model spincast reels were the Johnsons, Zebcos and Shakespeares, although there were many others that had various followings here.

Frank

jeff smith

Quote from: happyhooker on April 09, 2023, 04:03:30 PMI do not have any 1st hand knowledge of this reel, but here is a schematic (attached .pdf) that may be of some help as you work on yours.  I would suspect that the main (aka drive) shaft comes out before the pinion (aka winding) shaft, but perhaps another AT member with more familiarity as to this reel can be of more specific help.

Abu and Abumatics were/are popular reels in the US.  Probably the most popular older model spincast reels were the Johnsons, Zebcos and Shakespeares, although there were many others that had various followings here.

Frank
Frank.... Thanks so much , that was incredibly helpful.I failed to find a schematic myself.
Part 5168- at tiny 'C' clip is the key. I could only see it under a magnifying glass but have managed to remove it, clean and grease the parts and reassemble the reel.
With some blue Penn grease on the workings, and Cal's on the drag disc she's now purring like a kitten.
I understand that a left hand wind model 61 was also made. I've never seen one in the UK and wonder if they're popular over in the States??
I'd love to get hold of one as right handed reels feel abit odd to me.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

For some reason, I couldn't post pictures and text together. Never heard of a 60 before.
My Dad got my brother one of these back in the '60's. I always thought it was so much better than the Zebco 202 I started-out with as a 5yr. Old. So, I got one for my collection.
I love the drag system: set it, then adjust during the fight by cranking the handle backwards up to about 120 degrees to decrease pressure if the fish makes a hard, quick run. A very well made reel.

happyhooker

Jeff:

Glad I could help.  I really should look at the Abu spincasters a little closer, as there seem to be some nice models there.  I am mainly a user, and don't use spincasters too often (but maybe I would if I searched for only the "good" ones.)

I figured that "C" clip might get your attention.  This 60 isn't the only spincaster that uses those tiny clips that tend to shoot off into nevernever land (never to be found again).  Some of the Johnsons just use a tiny length of rubber hose that stretches over the end of the pinion shaft; easy to take on & off & super cheap to replace if need be.  I suspect, in a pinch, that other reels might be able to use this too.

Noticed a site (realsreels.com) that has a copy of the 60 owner's manual online, if that would interest you. Has pics of many Abu spincasters, and mentions the 61, although I don't think he has one.

I, too, because I've used spinning reels a lot, prefer to crank with my left hand, which is maybe another reason spincasters don't always grab my attention.  There are a few older ones (Johnson Century, Johnson Citation, Eagle Claw EC-88B; Daiwa Silvercast RL series) I know of that have switchable cranks side-to-side.

Frank

Walter61

Here is a photo of the Abumatic 60 and 61. Super reels, they are fished standing on the rod.

Walter

Gfish

Note the Shakes 1756 on the right, in my picture. It's one of their underspin models(no push-button). Best used on a regular spinning rod with the longer handle. Finger the line, then crank backwards to release the rotor pin for casting. Eliminates the need to squeeze the line up against the cap while casting. A heavy reel, but built like a tank.

happyhooker

Yeah, "G", those underspins are cool, especially if you can find one that has enough clearance between the foot and the body so you can get your fingers wrapped around things (like you would with a regular spinning reel--getting your fingers around the leg and having the index finger right handy to grab the line).

Frank

jeff smith

Quote from: Walter61 on April 10, 2023, 05:49:25 AMHere is a photo of the Abumatic 60 and 61. Super reels, they are fished standing on the rod.

Walter
Wow, there she is..... a 61. I reckon it's going to take a while to track down one of those beauties here in the UK.
I might have to try and find one over your side of the pond although shipping's become a-bit of a hassle recently.
I seem to remember that Shakespeare underpin being available over here- good idea but the job's probably done as well with an Abu 500 series which were very popular over here.
Frank- yes, they're good quality reels as were all Abu products of this era.