I've seen this called the Hatteras Cast. Do people really do this?

Started by Wolfram M, April 11, 2023, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Linked video from IMGUR.

https://i.imgur.com/8COvOJ1.mp4

I've seen this done by people who just bring the rod back and whip the short shock leader around once before bringing the rod forward, but this is the first time I've seen it done like this.

Did this guy just take it to the extreme, or is this a real, normal thing??

Brewcrafter

While impressive; my initial thought is awesome rod control and a flair for theatre.  Physics - that weight spinning at the end of the radius of the circle is not gaining a lot of energy once it gets to max radius and speed.  The only reason to keep spinning it would be (kinda like those fly rod guys - sorry jurelometer!) is if you are feeding out slightly more line to increase the radius of the circle on each rotation - and hence the velocity (assuming you are still able to spin at the same RPM with the longer radius) also increases and the energy of the terminal weight when it is released.  That looks like a lot of work.  And good luck keeping an anchovy on the hook  :D  - john

JasonGotaProblem

Unrelated to the technique in question.

What annoys me is there's a pier right there. If he wanted to get his line out further he coulda just walked it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 11, 2023, 04:17:05 AMWhat annoys me is there's a pier right there.
Yes.  What about the wind?  I could see this ending badly if his release isn't timed right or if something breaks. There are other proven techniques with less risk.  I could understand doing this on the beach with nobody else around.  A weighted leader upside somebody's head would be some pier drama for sure. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Benni3

I was there 3 years ago and no,,,, ;) they use a penn 525 and $700 rod and it looks like they can cast a football field off the end of the pier,,,,, ;D

ExcessiveAngler

I don't know what's happening every time I type something I seem to lose it if I don't post it right away!
That guy is not fishing, he is wet casting!
All kinds of crazy videos on YouTube of long-distance casting at night, I've been watching some of them on the Pier's over in Singapore!
Power Anlgerz TV or PATV on YouTube!
They also go by PA surfcasters too!
Couldn't figure out how to post a video, so I screen recorded it, see if I can post that here. Lol.

Hopefully allowed to do that and don't know if it'll work lol!
Forgive me if I did something wrong!

Benni3

Back in the 70's a 10.6 and a 706 penn and they did a pendulum cast and I got the same set up,,,,,, ;) but I don't think it's a big deal,,,, ;D

ExcessiveAngler

It also seems to me at least, in the original video that it's been sped up a little bit!
Watch closely when he turns to cast, seems unnaturally fast to me, no?

Cor

Looks like an awful lot of energy for probably little gain, if any.  I would think it dangerous as wel, someone can walk in to it or the Line can break sending the casting weight flying in any direction!
Cornelis

Swami805

Lots of potential problems casting like that but credit with style points, it does look pretty cool
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alan Matsuno

Quote from: Wolfram M on April 11, 2023, 04:03:52 AMLinked video from IMGUR.

I've seen this done by people who just bring the rod back and whip the short shock leader around once before bringing the rod forward, but this is the first time I've seen it done like this.

I have seen videos and read about this.  Competition Casting, not some video of some off a pier, but competitions. ABC7 bearings and rocket fuel lube.

beachbob

That's NOT a Hatteras cast

That's NOT a Hatteras cast, that's dumb showoff cast that has nothing to do with fishing.

THIS is a Hatteras cast, as done by Tommy Farmer ...

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Cuttyhunker

The first video has the "bait" rotating counterclockwise then the angler looks to spin clockwise, casting lefty (clockwise)
right hand on butt, left on reel.  Looks like a circular variation of the fly fishing "double haul" technique to additionally pre load the rod for greater distance.  I could see this in real time with the speed and coordination of youth.
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

LOL THAT is NOT a Hatteras cast. Refer to BeachBob's post above for a true Hatteras cast.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"