I've seen this called the Hatteras Cast. Do people really do this?

Started by Wolfram M, April 11, 2023, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish, Breadfan, jim mcnamara and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ExcessiveAngler

Yeah, I just happen to watch this again!
That video was definitely sped up, watch the very beginning when the guy or maybe it's a kid, backs up out of the field of view lol!
Definitely unnatural looking, and after watching the video with the sound on, which I didn't do before, looks like he's holding a fixed spool reel, but sounds like a revolving reel lol!

Breadfan

I do a simple push/pull and I send it pretty much where it needs to go. No need for flair, just thump it. Hitting within a few feet of your aim is the game.

akfish

Not really a big deal to me. That's exactly how I cast sardines when flylining for tuna.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Yep,
He's trying to prove to himself that he and his wife can still become grandparents in 18 years (trying to maintain the 12 year old rule, even though she's heard quite a bit more than anything that would ever be on here.)

He looks to be very good at it, but he is just getting people to watch him.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oldmanjoe

::)  Ah come on , don`t you remember David and Goliath .  He rocked it !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on April 14, 2023, 02:05:19 PM
Quote from: Wolfram M on April 11, 2023, 04:03:52 AMLinked video from IMGUR.

https://i.imgur.com/8COvOJ1.mp4

I've seen this done by people who just bring the rod back and whip the short shock leader around once before bringing the rod forward, but this is the first time I've seen it done like this.

Did this guy just take it to the extreme, or is this a real, normal thing??

LOL THAT is NOT a Hatteras cast. Refer to BeachBob's post above for a true Hatteras cast.

YUP, and Tommy is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet to get you throwing the best way for YOU.