Collector's MK.1 Mitchell Reel up on Ebay

Started by jtwill98, April 14, 2023, 01:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

If anyone is looking for a collector's MK1 reel they might want to check the France Ebay site. Listings for MK1s don't happened often.

I heard that the gentleman selling the reel is doing do because of health issues so I am just putting out the word for a friend of a friend.

Listing number is 256039426600.

jtwill98

The results are in -- the reel sold for EUR 1,410.00 (approximately US $1,552.06).  My best offer was never in the ballpark to bid on this reel.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jtwill98

I was talking to my friend Rolands Babulis over email the last few of days, because I spilt coffee on my desk next to my copy of his book "The Early Years of The Mitchell Fishing Reel - 3rd version".  I was hoping he could provide be replacement pages for the 8-10 pages that suffered coffee stains. The book is spiral bound.

While he said he could do so, he was afraid the costs of printing and shipping would be higher than I expect, so he provided me a pdf version of the pages.  I will have them printed and replaced by a local printer.   

He mentioned in his reply, that he still has a few copies of his book for sale.

So if there are any members here looking, please PM me and I can provide you his contact information.

The book is fully revised and is limited to 25 copies. He does not advertise. He only sells the books by word of mouth, mainly to collectors of early reels. The main feature is his studies and galleries of the early models, including 25 of the MK1 reels.

The third edition is itself a collector item due to the limited number, and the quality of the printing and paper is high.

Rolands lives in the UK and sells the book for 100 GBP, plus shipping.

pointbob

Quote from: jtwill98 on October 26, 2023, 12:54:25 AMI was talking to my friend Rolands Babulis over email the last few of days, because I spilt coffee on my desk next to my copy of his book "The Early Years of The Mitchell Fishing Reel - 3rd version".  I was hoping he could provide be replacement pages for the 8-10 pages that suffered coffee stains. The book is spiral bound.

While he said he could do so, he was afraid the costs of printing and shipping would be higher than I expect, so he provided me a pdf version of the pages.  I will have them printed and replaced by a local printer.   

He mentioned in his reply, that he still has a few copies of his book for sale.

So if there are any members here looking, please PM me and I can provide you his contact information.

The book is fully revised and is limited to 25 copies. He does not advertise. He only sells the books by word of mouth, mainly to collectors of early reels. The main feature is his studies and galleries of the early models, including 25 of the MK1 reels.

The third edition is itself a collector item due to the limited number, and the quality of the printing and paper is high.

Rolands lives in the UK and sells the book for 100 GBP, plus shipping.

thanks for the info; i had no idea. But your ebay link mitchell reel mk1 I could not locate even using the ebay number...no link?
Patience comes to those who wait

nelz

jtwill98

MK.1 is an UK classification system to classify reels according to age and physical characteristics rarity and desirability to help collectors determine value. 

The very first Mitchell egg shape (300 series) reels are were considered MK.1 which are the most desirable because of their scarcity.

Some of the characteristics of the MK.1 are: Externally, half-bail or claw line pick up, round knurled anti-reverse knob with a fine crosshatch pattern, a reel handle with hardwood knob, painted with a lack of  primer under the paint, lack of country origin (made in France) marking and no serial numbers. Internally, there are some alloy markings and specific gear markings that help distinguish the Mk.1 from the MK1.1. This is all documented In several books, starting with books by well known Mitchell collector authors Dennis Roberts, Luc de Medts, Barry Frewing, Wallace Carney, Rolands Babulis and George Saul.  There are other books on this topic as well that I don't want to discredit, I just don't recall them at the moment.       

The reel mentioned in this thread was a MK1.1 from a collector named Laurent Vilette who is getting up in years and decided to sell it to help pay his medical expenses.

Rolands has the largest collection of MK.1s and has indicated he may begin to sell some of them in the near future.  He already started selling off his Walker MK IV carp rods on https://www.barder-rod.co.uk.  Here is a link to one of Rolands rods that sold for £2,000.00. https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/barder-rod-co-richard-walker-mk-iv-carp-rod

So as you see, Fred's reels and rods are truly a bargain!

DougK

thanks Jtwill, I didn't know that about the MK.1 classification..

that Walker rod is beautiful, wow.

Nickels

Thanks jtwill98! This community and its wealth of knowledge blows me away. I literally learn something fascinating and cool about this hobby and the rabbit hole just seems to get dug a little deeper (with glee I might add). Thanks for making me better educated about Mitchell's today. I'm starting to get a bunch of them in and plan on using them over the newer reels as they just work well. Fred might help me with some shims which it seems almost all of the reels are missing in one form or another. Thanks guys for being so cool with the info.