metal rod measure

Started by Donnyboat, April 14, 2023, 02:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, hope you catching fish, & leaving some for me, I have just gained the possession of a metal lathe, I came across a thead measuring device & or intrament, it has on it,-the LS Starret & Co-Athol.Mass. USA.- No 40, thats about all I can reed on it, now Lathe work is totally new to me, so expect some stupid questions, come to think of it, thats me with everything I do, as you possibly already Know, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Cool! Might be fun. Guy's from Oz seem to be into the "do it yerself" thing. Only the questions people DON"T ask, are the stupid ones to me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

:D    Is it the Swiss Army knife looking thing with all the different size saw blades in it . >:D
 Thread pitch Gage 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Okay thanks Joe, It has sizes on it, for example, 27-.064, I presume the 27 is metric & the other is thousands of an inch, is that correct, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

So how is this for service, this forum, one of the moderators, sends me an email, telling me that Wayne has posted in here, that if I need pics posted, he is keen to help, so I come back here to tell Wayne, that Mike currie, ( MHC) is keen to help  with pictures as well, & as Mike is in the trade, he will talk turning language, and there Waynes reply has`nt even been posted yet, so I will try n get some new pics of the lathe, for Mike to post, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Don has sent a few photos of his 'new to him' lathe and I can tell you there is a bit of lathe envy happening here - for a 38 year old machine it looks to be in near perfect condition and about 10 times more capable than my little mini lathe.

Don's message:
"Hi Mike, this is pics of the receipt, just in case your having trouble seeing it, He, My cousin, Joe Mann, past away last year, age 95, he was a electrician by trade, although he had a very good sense of humour, he kept to him self a lot, as if he went anywhere, people were always putting it on him to do a love job on there power, anyway, he brought it from Ron Mach machinery sales, they must have been the WA agents for them, the importer were in Queensland , & paid $2590.00 for it new on the 30th of August  1985, as you maybe able to see, it was made in Taiwan, I would like to get a copy of the manual for it if possible, cheers Don."

and the photos;

From memory the original motor was/is a 3 phase 1/2 HP and Don has installed a single phase 240V 1 HP motor to suit his power supply.

Nice lathe Don.
Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oldmanjoe

;D   That is a lot of lathe , That will keep you busy for awhile ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Yes Joe, its not a bad size, should keep me entertained,My plan is to make brass bushes for reels & so on, Thanks Mike for posting the picture, as I said at the start of this post, how stupid I am, well I started the post, looking for info, on a gauge, & I did`nt even send mike a pic of it to post, as I said to Mike, it would be handy if some one could find me, or point me towards, finding a copy of the operating manual for this lathe, cheers Don. by the way I paid AU$1000, for it & two 300 km trips return to get it home, his wife wanted it out of the way so she can sell the house they were living in.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Well i assume that there was no instruction manual with your cousin, the next try would be the importer.
     I did not see a name on the lathe , do you see one .   All i saw was model no.

https://vanhack.ca/doku.php?id=tool:manual_lathe

I think this is your lathe , looks like you have to click on the blue typings
Another site .    https://www.sunmaster-cnc.com/e-catalog/index.html

Donnyboat

Yes Joe maybe there is a lathe forum, that may be able to help me, the lathe has BROMAC on it, in large letters, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shellbelly

You are about to have loads of fun making huge messes! ;D  And collecting measuring tools.  Screw pitch gages.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Donnyboat

Yes Mr shell, I need some gauges for it including dia glass face guages & so on.

Joe I had over look that side you gave me, when I replied last time, vanhack.ca/dekuplp?id=manual that lathe posted there is the same lathe, including the stand it is on, the only differance I can see, ours has model TY-1122BH, & that one on that sight is, TY-1125BH so I would say the manual for it would be fine for me, its now 2:48 am here so sleep time, I will have another look, in the morning, thanks so much  Joe, cheers  Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Robert Janssen

That will be a great machine for you to learn things on for many years to come.

Lathes.co.uk is the go-to site for machine information. In your case specifically, it is

http://www.lathes.co.uk/taiwan/

oldmanjoe

https://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm         Pretty much black and white on how to use a  lathe .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=metal+lathe     Blondihacks   is pretty good at explaining Technique on the lathe.

Donnyboat

Thanks Rob & Joe again, yes I have been on the youtube, with blondihack, very handy for a dense prick like me, Mike Currie now has pics of the gauge I was on about, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat