Time to take my grandson fishing !

Started by 54bullseye, June 06, 2023, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Well I have hundreds of fishing reels but my grandson is 4 and I am gonna start taking him fishing and I don't have any simple small closed face push button reels for him to use. What is the best starter reel ?? Zebco 202 was my first. What would be the simplest easy to cast reel to start him on ?? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks !   John Taylor

thorhammer

Daiwa Silvercast 210 or Johnson Century  / Sabre. Ole skool with some metal in them- they are what I graduated to after the 404's crapped out (that took all of a couple trips). I still have them, from 1976 or so. Or, a vintage 33, since every kid maybe outta start on a Zebco.

John

Gfish

Daiwa also makes a "Minicast 1". Good quality, small for a smaller hand, but prolly used only. Real good quality for a spincaster and relatively small, are the Johnson's - John mentioned.
Really like to see some pictures of Grandpa/Grandson fishing together.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

yep, the minicast is esentially scaled down sibling of the 208-210-212 series, and I still have the minicast  in the combo travel kit with case. cool little reels!

jtwill98

My grandkids started out with the Shakespeare kids poles from the local Wally store but you can't go wrong with the $10 Zebco Dock Demon Spinning Reel found online at the Smiley prime store.