Starless Drag Bay City

Started by Shellbelly, November 14, 2023, 04:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Here is a 113H, 300-yard Bay City.  I've passed on so many of the 112 and 113 reels. I didn't know this "H" model existed and had not seen one anywhere before now.  A little research says the "H" is likely from 1958 and may not have been produced more than a year or two.

What's different?  It has a small part installed after the handle that causes the handle to increase drag pressure when you roll a little catch in the path of the handle.  The handle has no counterbalance and its mounting hole is threaded onto the gear sleeve.  And, of course, no drag star.  It works!  I don't believe it would be a comfortable operation for most fishermen.  We would have to change the way we think about conventional reel fish fighting.  I can imagine an old salt cursing this new-fangled gadget as he fights a sizeable fish. 

It is interesting that this seems to be a precursor to lever drag systems.  I believe it could easily be converted back to a standard star drag reel.

Other than that, it's a later model, indestructible Bay City.  Internals are unplated brass with chromed steel main and pinion gears.  Drags are leather with brass discs.  Not much wear and appears it may have just the factory lube job.  The line left some corrosion spots on the spool.  Note that the dog pivots on a bridge screw instead of a pin.  Easy to align during assembly. 

It came with the blue/yellow OC box, but the seller obviously is new to packing reels.  They just put it in its box, bagged it, and the reel destroyed the box.  Unfortunate, since it is the correct box indicating starless drag and 113H.  Fortunately, the reel and instructions survived the drop-kick trip from Alaska to TX in a bag.

I would recommend getting this "H" version of both the 112 and 113 if they show up on your radar.  Or keep an eye out for their unique parts.  In either case, this version is part of OC history.

Here's the before and after.  It came out well, but a new spool would dress it up to an almost new reel. 

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

:)   Nice score .   That is the later starless with the hinged stop block .   Much better than the fixed dog leg design !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Thanks, Joe.  I was able to piece the box back together, but it's very fragile.  Here's a picture.  It was the red ink that caught my attention. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Shellbelly on November 14, 2023, 08:55:17 PMIt was the red ink that caught my attention. 
Somewhere in heaven a long dead marketing person is saying I told you so!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

So right!  Think of the technical writer who had to describe how to use it.  I bet he missed the deadline.

ExcessiveAngler

Don't you just hate, when sellers do stupid stuff, when they ship you something!
Nice, looking reel by the way!
Guy shipped me a reel the other day!
Literally put the reel in the box, with the Spool and handle loose, NO bubble wrap!
Then just wrapped the original box with brown paper, and threw it in the mail, WTH man?
Showed up here, all scratched up!
Can only imagine getting one, that's hard to find and collectible, in this condition!

Shellbelly

I always look at the seller's other items.  If they appear to have a wide random selection with no particular focus and few fragile or particularly valuable items, I feel there will be a higher shipping risk.  It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's usually from these stores.  Unfortunately, there is a better chance of finding the hidden gem in these stores. 

Some just don't realize what they are doing and robotically ship stuff out(grocery bag mentality).  Others don't care and place all the blame on USPS...knowing that's a ridiculous argument (greed).

I also realize there are buyers who will raise a big stink just to get free stuff....then turn a profit on it.  So I see the seller environment out there.

I have sent messages to sellers requesting special protective material.  I haven't gotten pushback.  I just let them know what the item means to me.  Feedback is powerful on ebay and there are shipping standards you can cite if it comes down to that.

In this instance, I didn't ask.  So, I have a "house of cards" reel box!  Not my fault, but knowing the environment, it kinda is.  Shouldn't be that way, but that's the buyers environment.

Gfish

Interesting reel. What's the "H" stand for? I guess it didn't catch-on, that drag design.
Reminds me of a 60's Abumatic spincaster I have. A screw on the outside of the crankshaft adjusts the drag range(has a coin size slot), then about a 100 degree back turn on the handle reduces the drag pressure. Handy if you're familiar with the operation, and the fish suddenly makes a strong run.
What's the gear ratio on that 113H?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

H stands for starless drag.  The gear ratio is 2-1/4:1. 

For me, it seems like too many steps vs a star drag.  I would have to make this a primary reel and learn it.  If somebody handed it to me and said, "Here, catch this fish" I would be all messed up in a fight.  My "drag finger" would keep looking for a star.

Could be that this one is smarter than me!
Quote from: Gfish on November 16, 2023, 06:15:10 PMWhat's the "H" stand for?