PENN handle fitment issue

Started by Finest Kind, April 17, 2023, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finest Kind

I recently upgraded the gear sleeves on a Penn 500S, a 100 Surfmaster, and a 146 Squidder to SS Pro Challenger gear sleeves. I upgraded the handles on the 500S and 146 to new 24-56 power handles. No issues. On the 100, I wanted a counterbalanced handle, so I put on a new 24S-310. Torqued it down as much as I could, and still had a lot of side to side wobble. Finally changed the handle to a 24-66, works great. No issues with the 24S-310 on a stock brass sleeve. I was wondering if the brass sleeve just flattens a bit when you tighten the handle nut. The SS sleeve is very strong so no way it is going to deform. BTW, the 24S-310 measures 0.107, 24-155 is 0.118, 24-56 is 0.116, 24-66 is 0.120. I just wanted to point it out in case anyone has the same issue. Kind of wish I had just gone with the 24-66 in the first place, would have saved me some time.
John

Gfish

Good information here, especially on the i.d. size differences.
 One thing I've heard HERE about the handles BECOMING loose is that the brass sleeve——handle attachment point, will wear-out if the handle nut is not torqued down pretty tight. It seems to be chromed brass handle vs plain brass gear sleeve and maybe both can wear a bit if the nut isn't tight enough, but the sleeve will wear the most...?

Don't know if I've ever seen a 24s-310. That'n has the oblong rubber knob, right? A more modern Penn handle/knob version than I'm used too.

Last night I's looking at the differences between an old 209 Peerless(in great, little-used shape)and the Mag Tuned 210(no magnet on these, only on the Mag Tuned 10——false advertising?). Though heavier, the 210 is the same size as the 209 but with faster gears, ball bearings and the 24-66 handle. The 209 has the 24-155. Now after reading your post, I godda do some measuring/testing and see how tight those handles are...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

The brass gearsleves will round off under high loads even when the nut is tight.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Finest Kind

I should have posted pictures because I realize it's impossible to follow my thread. This surfmaster has a 24-155 handle, it's fine. With the 24S-310 handle and a SS gear sleeve you can't torque the handle nut tight against the handle because the handle blade is thinner. That gives a lot of side to side wobble, that is the handle wobbles toward the side plate and away from the side plate. Both handles fit both sleeves perfectly as far as the hole size in the handle matching the diameter and shape of the gear sleeve. The gear sleeves and the handles are new.  The measurements I included yesterday are the thickness the handle blade.

Gfish

Ahhh, gotcha. Man, I was way off.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Find a SS shim washer and put it on top of the handle.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Maybe give it the ambassadeur treatment? Spring washer between handle and drag star.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Finest Kind

Quote from: Keta on April 18, 2023, 08:54:26 PMFind a SS shim washer and put it on top of the handle.
Thanks Keta,
Good idea. For now the 24-66 handle is OK since the handle blade is 0.013 thicker than the 24S-310. Fits tight no wobble.At least I know how thick the shim washer needs to be. The 24S-310 has the same handle knob as I have on a 965 that is very comfortable for a small reel, that's why I tried it.

Finest Kind

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 18, 2023, 09:03:30 PMMaybe give it the ambassadeur treatment? Spring washer between handle and drag star.

Thanks Jason, I'm finding that it's easier to change out one thing at a time. When I change out a whole bunch of parts at once and then there is an issue, it makes for a lot of back tracking. The reel came out nice though. Looking forward to fishing it in a couple of days.

Finest Kind

I followed Keta's advice and found a thin SS washer to put between the 24S-310 handle and the handle nut. That took care of the problem. Now this 100 Surfmaster has the same handle knob as my 965 International, which I really like-different handle blade though. The other 100 Surfmaster has a 24-66 Jigmaster handle for comparison. I'll try them both out.
John