Abu Ambassaduer 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite Bearings Removal.

Started by hotajax, April 16, 2023, 06:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

I want to dunk these in TSI-321 overnight. I studied the spool, and on the right side, the brake block side, I see an external clip holding the brake block carrier in.  How do you remove that clip, given the size of it and the very limited amount of space to insert a tool?  Looking like a dental pick is an option.  How do you get it out?   Thanks.  Hot Ajax.

JasonGotaProblem

Gotta remove the c-clip holding it in with a pick then pop off the cover with a small flathead and the bearing just falls out. There's a small brass spring washer behind it. Don't lose it. That's needed for the spool control knob to work.

Soak the bearings in a solvent, then clean out the solvent, then add tsi. No need to soak in TSI.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

And to add to what Jason said!
The e-clip to the handle and the wire retaining clip that holds the brake block in place, are very well known for just loving to play, a serious game of hide and seek!
Unfortunately, the game never ends though!
So, I always use a magnetized tool and do it inside a clear plastic bag!
All joking aside, probably could have a new reel sitting here at a couple bucks a pop, it adds up quick lol!

hotajax

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 16, 2023, 01:17:47 PMGotta remove the c-clip holding it in with a pick then pop off the cover with a small flathead and the bearing just falls out. There's a small brass spring washer behind it. Don't lose it. That's needed for the spool control knob to work.

Soak the bearings in a solvent, then clean out the solvent, then add tsi. No need to soak in TSI.
So will the TSI just creep in between the shields and the races, or do you remove the shields?  Thanks for answering up.  Much appreciated.

UKChris1

That plastic bag trick is such a great idea for other reels too that always have a 'playful' spring wanting to play hide-and-seek.

Swami805

I pop the shields off before I clean them in solvent. I add a couple drops of tsi just before installing them or after if I can get at them
Those clip's can go flying when trying to install them too, one wrong move and zing!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Most ball bearings, I can get the shields offa, some I can't. Salt or fresh water can hide in there and start the rust/corrosion process, so I think it's best to open 'em up if possible. I even replace, if I have the right size, opened ball bearings for the ones I can't de-shield.
If you can't remove the shields, a long soak, with some shaking and several fluid replacements, might be best. Carb cleaner works pretty good for me. But, I always flush it out with iso-alcohol, blow it dry and then add the preferred lube. 
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Here's my way of cleaning bearings that I cant pull the shields from. Works even better if you do pull the shields.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pFAJlALoN8U?feature=share
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!