where to buy Rod Tubes for shipping?

Started by reelynew, April 22, 2023, 12:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hi All,

My Dad is looking to send me a rod but I do not want to inconvenience him with trying to find an appropriate tube for shipping.  For you guys who make rods, where would you recommend I purchase a single tube from that I can just send directly to him?  Fortunately, it's a two piece rod with the pieces being 43 inches long. 

Any advice or tips would greatly be appreciated,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

CooldadE

I've used both cardboard tubes and pvc... both readily available.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

I use square plastic rain gutter down spout   Cheap and it doesn't roll around
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

Quote from: Swami805 on April 22, 2023, 02:30:14 AMI use square plastic rain gutter down spout   Cheap and it doesn't roll around

Great idea !

Cool

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CooldadE

Where ? Big box store for the  pvc or plastic downspout. Cardboard tube ? Office Depot / Staples... UPS / Post Office.

Cool

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on April 22, 2023, 02:30:14 AMI use square plastic rain gutter down spout   Cheap and it doesn't roll around

That is a excellent idea.  I think they are lighter than the cardboard tubes I scavenge for shipping rods too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

The best part is when you take it to get shipped they usually go by dimension on the tubes. Ever see a usps guy try to figure out how to use Pi ?  It can take awhile. The big box stores sell the rain gutter stuff usually cheaper than PVC pipe. You can make caps with a small cut off piece folded into the end.
If there's carpet place around sometimes you can scrounge the cardboard tube from the carpet rolls for free
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reeltyme

Cardboard tubes from the inside of carpet. Can be cut to the desired length with a hand or power saw. The store is usually happy to give them to you for free.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Reeltyme on April 22, 2023, 09:40:41 AMCardboard tubes from the inside of carpet. Can be cut to the desired length with a hand or power saw. The store is usually happy to give them to you for free.

Kind of heavy, though.

ABS is usually lighter than SCH 40 PVC. Look into the thin wall PVC.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Yes gutter pipe, IE drain pipe, is gernerally cheaper than PVC pressure pipe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

Quote from: Reeltyme on April 22, 2023, 09:40:41 AMCardboard tubes from the inside of carpet. Can be cut to the desired length with a hand or power saw. The store is usually happy to give them to you for free.

those tend to be really heavy...  better for storing or shipping many rods -- not, 1 or 2
find a business that buys/empties reams of fabric -- you get much better OD/ID variety

foakes

I do not like to ship rods —- but occasionally will for friends and good clients —- no other way to get rods across the country.

2" square downspout PVC tubing works the best for me.  I also use square end caps and tape them securely.

Anonymous shipping is also best, IMO.  Not going to use a brand name tube for some folks to be tempted by spotting.

Pool noodles are only a buck, or so, at the dollar store.  I slice a long slit in one side so that there is not any issues —- but still protected.

Sent (2) rods to New Jersey a month ago (one was a one-piece, 5' 6") —- since I kept the total length of the tube below 72" —- the cost was only $19.  Above 72" —- it would have doubled.

For my own storage of personal rods, I use expandable plastic blueprint tubes.  They will handle a 2-piece rod up to 7' —- if the 2 lengths are equal.

These are light and protective.  And I also buy cloth socks from a supplier in Georgia.  I do not like the rubberized/poly mesh socks.  I think they may leave an odor on the rods when stored long-term.  Cloth is breathable, protective, and better, IMO.

For the blueprint tubes —- it is also easy to toss a couple in the vehicle for trips, day hikes, or backpacking.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 22, 2023, 06:15:00 PMKind of heavy, though.

ABS is usually lighter than SCH 40 PVC. Look into the thin wall PVC.

I also use ABS for the same reason,  ligther, strong for any miss handling on en shipping and cheap, also caps come for any size
The Baja Guy