Delrin Dots for Spool Shimming-Make Your Own

Started by Finest Kind, April 23, 2023, 02:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finest Kind

I just converted a 200 Surfmaster to 100 width, I changed out both bearings, and new spool. When I reassembled, the spool was significantly proud on the tailplate side, and recessed on the gear side. I had heard of "delrin dots" on this site. A sheet of delrin on an industrial site would be cost prohibitive for an amateur like me, but a delrin undergear washer for a Jigmaster yielded a dozen dots. The washers are $1.15 at Mystic Parts. I punched them out with a leather punch. A dozen should last me a while.

JasonGotaProblem

Are you putting these below the spool shaft in the bushing cup? I need to look into a 100-width spool for my surfmaster, that thing looks sweet!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Finest Kind

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 23, 2023, 02:35:16 PMAre you putting these below the spool shaft in the bushing cup? I need to look into a 100-width spool for my surfmaster, that thing looks sweet!
Yes Jason. One dot in the bottom of the bushing cup was perfect for this reel. You could add more if you needed to. The free spool is excellent since I added the dot.
John

thorhammer

foakes

Clever, Johnny!

I learned something good today.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Finest Kind

Thanks guys, the punch will also work on aluminum cans, which I have also read about on this site. You would need three or four aluminum dots to equal one of the delrin dots, but you get finer adjustment if you need it.  The reel has serious history. It cost me about a weeks pay at my after school job when I was a kid, 1972. Caught untold numbers of bass and blues with it, as well as my first BFT, 60 lbs. and an Albacore, 55lbs. Spooled with 40 lb. test Ande mono. The surfmaster and a 500S jigmaster were my "go to" reels for inshore and offshore fishing, because that's all I had! Both totally stock, they never failed me.

thorhammer

Sweet! And both are ready to go another 50, maybe more with that frame and spool!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Finest Kind

Quote from: Bill B on April 25, 2023, 05:49:27 PMSweet!  I'm stealing this idea.  Bill
Well, it's not much of an idea. Especially since I never heard of a "delrin dot' or shimming a spool before I found this site. Probably wouldn't have even noticed the spool was all cockeyed and wouldn't have known what to do about it if I did. I am taking advantage of all the R&D that members have done to make these fantastic reels truly state of the art. They will be getting a workout this season.
John