Mean Ol' Snakehead

Started by nelz, April 24, 2023, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I've been trying forever it seems, to nail one of those big snakeheads that lurk in the lake I fish. It's a man-made lake with a sudden drop-off and hardly any shallows. As it happens, these fish love to hang in the shallows, and ambush frogs or whatever else comes along. So, although there's plenty of snakeheads, they see you coming and bolt into the deep before you ever get a cast off! In this setting, it's quite the challenge even for a skilled fisherman to hook up, and one that I have set my mind upon. And sooooo......

Ever so stealthily, walking a good distance from the waters edge, polarized glasses on, hiding behind trees and bushes, I stalked my prey... when suddenly, no more than a foot from the shoreline, I spot a pair of biggin's! This time, they don't spot me, and I carefully aim my rubber frog and it lands just past the monsters. Twitch, twitch, BAMM!

The beast rockets off into the deep water, drag's a'screamin', I slowly ease him back in, he digs into the tall grass, I pull the line, dangerously close to its breaking point, and again the beast shoots into the deep.

After a few repeats of this scenario, I finally manage to pull the beast up to the shoreline, grabbing the leader and slowly easing him onto the grass. Wow, this thing is heavy!

Well folks, the long sought-after prize is now at my feet and out comes the cell-phone to snap a few pics. All done and now to remove the hook. It just wouldn't budge, and finally snapped in half. Folks, these fish are not bass!

I pick this critter up and wow, it feels like a good 15 pounds! Trust me, the dang photo does not do it justice! I would guess that the perhaps the flesh of these fish is more dense then the average? I slide him into the water and off he goes, no sign of suffocating (these fish have a primitive lung for breathing out of the water).

And so, today I added another trophy taken from my go-to lake, and it was a blast!

Keta

You should have killed it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

sounds like you used your ninja skills to ambush that fish

cool, congrats for scratching out another trophy from your list
The Baja Guy

nelz

Quote from: Keta on April 24, 2023, 11:07:27 PMYou should have killed it.

I've been fishing this lake for a good 20 years; that's before snakeheads even made the scene. To be honest, I've yet to notice any decline in the bass, snook, or peacocks that I am used to catching there, with one exception, read on...

As a matter of fact, two seasons ago was one of the most spectacular ones I've ever experienced, and I posted some of those catches here too.

Then suddenly, starting middle of last year until now, the fishing got really terrible, and it all started when the park maintenance crew sprayed something in the water, I believe it was herbicide. It absolutely killed the fishing, with many dead fish being found along the shores for months. It has started to recover a bit, but has a ways to go to be like it was.

But as for the invasive species factor, let me just point out that this fish was one of a pair that was guarding a brood of hundreds of babies, and I've seen the same thing happening on many occasions. So believe me, taking out one fish will hardly make a dent in the snakehead population! Furthermore, I believe the other predators are feeding on some of these juveniles.

Btw, the law here does not require killing any captured snakeheads, but does strictly prohibit moving them to another body of water.

nelz

Quote from: steelfish on April 24, 2023, 11:51:39 PMsounds like you used your ninja skills to ambush that fish

cool, congrats for scratching out another trophy from your list

Thanks Alex! Ninja, lol  8)

Btw, I hate that it looks so small in the photo! I should have taken the photo from above, the body is very wide but flat, kinda like a cobia.

Shellbelly

That sounds like fun!  I'm not familiar with snakeheads, thank goodness, but that spot on the tail says bowfin to me.  Very similar fish in characteristics....breathing out of water, teeth, shape, size.

Either way, a running 15# torpedo fish on light tackle is good stuff.

Keta is correct.  Places in the Northeast are getting overrun by snakeheads.  It's spreading.  I hope I never see one where I live.  If I ever catch one, I'll do my part and roll it in cornmeal. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

They are a nonindiginous fish and should be treated like starlings.  However they are interesting and tasty.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

nelz

Quote from: Shellbelly on April 25, 2023, 04:02:22 AM... that spot on the tail says bowfin to me.... Either way, a running 15# torpedo fish on light tackle is good stuff.

I'm very familiar with bowfins, trust me, this was a snaker. Besides, the long anal fin is a dead giveaway.

nelz

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2023, 04:27:11 AMThey are a nonindiginous fish and should be treated like starlings.  However they are interesting and tasty.

I was tempted to eat it, they're supposed to be excellent table fare. However, with all the crap they spray in these lakes, plus all the pesticides from the surrounding houses along with the septic tanks all oozing in as well, no thanks!

JasonGotaProblem

Man you get all the fun invasives down there! Up here all we got are those aquarium pleco in all the lakes and rivers. And frankly whenever I see a bunch of those around i know the bass bite in the area will be slow. Not sure why, but thats been my observation.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Toxic BS in our waters is not good.

Mark Twain

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 25, 2023, 12:38:39 PMMan you get all the fun invasives down there! Up here all we got are those aquarium pleco in all the lakes and rivers. And frankly whenever I see a bunch of those around i know the bass bite in the area will be slow. Not sure why, but thats been my observation.

Surprised to hear that, snakeheads have spread north way past your area. Not the case with Peacocks though, and yeah, they are a blast. Btw, nobody complains about the pretty peas, just the fugly snakers!

Plecos don't bother anyone, they just suck on algea all day! Maybe they are an indicator of certain water conditions when they're around?

JasonGotaProblem

I remember reading somewhere that they just eat algae so obliviously that they just mow across bass nests, destroying the eggs. And they're an armored fish comparable in size to bass, so the bass can't exactly chase them off.

My wife says people cook them with curry in Trinidad, and it's something of a delicacy. But then they also eat crevalle jack and armadillo, and think snook is a trash fish. So I take anything they say about good tasting fish with a grain of salt.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 25, 2023, 02:32:10 PMI remember reading somewhere that they just eat algae so obliviously that they just mow across bass nests, destroying the eggs...

My wife says people cook them with curry in Trinidad, and it's something of a delicacy.

Hmm, I didn't know that about harming the bass eggs. As for eatin'um, I'd have to be near death in starvation to eat a pleco, lol.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2023, 01:39:37 PMToxic BS in our waters is not good.
I lived in Indiana for a couple of years in the 80's.  Wanted to get into trout in the great lakes...until I read that they were toxic with mercury and you shouldn't eat more than two per year.  I lost interest at the "shouldn't eat" part of the advisory.  How about "don't eat ANY"? Went crappie fishing at local lakes and ponds instead.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)