Penn 440SS

Started by Shark Hunter, April 30, 2023, 01:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Does this reel really exist?
6 or 7 years ago, I was marking them off my list. All The ss spinners.
I have yet to find a 440 that doesn't have a graphite frame.
Unicorn?
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I've been hunting too. Nada.

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 30, 2023, 01:24:07 AMDoes this reel really exist?
6 or 7 years ago, I was marking them off my list. All The ss spinners.
I have yet to find a 440 that doesn't have a graphite frame.
Unicorn?

I do not believe any exist, Daron —-

Penn was under deadlines to get out their annual catalog back in the late 80's —- and listed the 440SS as available.

Focus and ideas shifted to the new upcoming graphite bodied reels.

The 440SS was the first of the SS line to be offered in graphite.

About 8 years ago, Sue and I took a no-reservation 9000+ mile road trip around the country.  One of the highlights of that trip (and my life) was Tony's gracious invitation for a personal tour of the Penn Manufacturing plant in Philadelphia.

We spent 3 hours going through the entire operation.  It was above fascinating.  Thank You, Tony!

I asked Tony about the 440SS.  Was there ever an aluminum model?

Tony said that there wasn't —- but if one ever surfaced, he would like photos of it (stranger things have happened with Penn, Tony stated).

I do not believe there are any.

Penn was looking to graphite production —- and if you look at the ultralight offerings already produced and successfully in place —- 420SS, 430SS —- then step up to the 550SS, 650SS, 750SS, etc. —- there was likely no need, or a limited market for the 440SS.

So it became the perfect reel to make the first transition to graphite bodied Penn spinners.

We get focused on many ideas in our minds.  The need for all aluminum-bodied reels to fill out our collections, etc..

The US Made 440SS is a tough reel.  It's a Penn, after all.  In a lighter weight package —- utilizing all of the solid parts of an all aluminum SS reel.

For me, I would suggest getting a US 440SS to complete the lineup —- and just know that this was an evolutionary step in Penn's history.

This 440SS is nearly identical to the next generation of 4400SS reels, in graphite.

I am not an expert —- this is just what a I have researched over the years —- having the same question as you and others, Daron.  So, of course, my information could be incorrect.  But until proven wrong — this sort of makes sense.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Makes sense to me as well.
There is a picture of one on mystic parts website.
It must be photo shopped.
[attach id=124438]pen440ss.jpg
Life is Good!

reelynew

I stumbled onto this older thread and thought you all might be able to answer a question on the 440SS.

I believe that this was Penn's first graphite reel in this lineup.  Did the 440SS replace an existing 700 series reel in line class, etc. or, was it a new reel to slot in between the 430SS and the 450SS? 

I'm curious what the target market/fish was for this reel or any history you could provide.

Thanks,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

ourford

Vic

reelynew

Quote from: ourford on September 15, 2023, 08:51:39 PMHere's some info on the SS reels courtesy of our friends at Mystic parts,

Thank you for that information.  It did help answer my questions.  From the various threads this reel seems to be a bit of an enigma. 

Anyone here fish with one? 
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

thorhammer

Hey Reely, to answer your quetion, a bit late, I have fished these extensively as well as 4400 and every other Spinfisher from the era. I probably have a few dozen. The 440/4400 I use as a general purpose for a bit of everything- maybe a bit large for largemouth casting all day, but she works, and certainly would do on cats, pike, walleye, etc. in freshwater. I mainly have used them for trout, puppy drum, flounder, Spanish macs, albacore, blues, and these days there is ALWAYS a 440/4400 and /or 4500, 5500 on my boat jigging and popping for stripers. I usually keep a spool with 20 lb braid and one with 10 or 12 mono available. Great reels, although parts are drying are drying up for these generations there are plenty of them around if one needs a parts reel.

John

Paul Roberts

In the mid 80s I worked full-time at a large tackle shop catering to the burgeoning great lakes salmonid fishery. We carried and sold a lot of Penn reels. I am surprised to hear that the 440SS is so rare, or nonexistent. We carried, I believe, four models of Spinfishers. I believe they were the 420, 430, 440, 550. I don't believe I ever saw the graphite models, at least while I was there.

Shark Hunter

Ah Ha! The Plot Thickens.
Life is Good!