TSI 321 compatibility with grease

Started by SteveL, November 26, 2020, 05:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

I have seen a number of posts regarding thinning of grease with one CorrosionX or other oils.  Some posts indicate TSI 321 is being mixed with grease to thin it.

This is a quote from https://tsi301.com/tsi321moreinfo.htm:

An attempt was made to mix TSI 321 with different greases; this proved unsuccessful as the TSI lubricant apparently destroyed the viscosity of the grease and the resultant mixture was turned into a slush rather than a solid grease.

Attempt to lubricate gears with this mixture proved unsuccessful as the only thing that stayed on the gears was the TSI lubricant, the slush just ran off.  Apparently the TSI 321 will replace the grease but no mix with it.

Are people seeing a different result from the combination of grease with TSI 321, especially when servicing the reel months later?

oc1

I don't think you would want to do it if your oil and grease do not make a smooth mixture.  Thinning the grease makes it easier to apply and insures that the surfaces are coated.  The thinned grease might also migrate around under the side plate so gear teeth and other mating surfaces may get re-lubricated.  I don't know if the grease and oil still degrade at the same rate.

Grease is a thickened oily lubricant and it is assumed that the mixed grease and oil concoction will still do what grease and oil are supposed to be doing.  We don't know if unique properties of a particular brand of grease or oil are maintained in the mixture.  Does TSI 321 still "inhibit rust and oxidation"?  Does blue Yamaha grease still "resist saltwater and washout and adhere to all frictional surfaces"?  Maybe they cancel out each other or maybe they enhance each other.  

It's so mysterious.
-steve

Swami805

I'd thin it with something else, TSI 321 is pricey for that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SteveL

According to the TSI website, the testing indicated that mixing TSI and grease was like using TSI alone.   Apparently the grease separates into the oil and thickening soap it is made from.   

I personally wouldn't mix TSI and grease, nor would I apply TSI to a surface I wanted grease to adhere to.   Some posts indicate that people are mixing the two.  I would be concerned about what you might find when servicing the reels months later.  Is the combination still "grease" and is it still adhered where it was applied.   The info from the TSI website seems to indicate "no" to both.

Tiddlerbasher

I have only successfully mixed TSI321 with one fully synthetic grease - it doesn't work with petroleum based greases. CorrosionX is probably a better choice.

wfjord

When I first bought some TSI-321 I initially tried thinning Yamaha blue marine grease with it, but it broke down & liquefied the Yamaha grease with a detergent-like effect.   CorrosionX doesn't liquefy it -- it makes the stiff grease nice & smooth and stays in place.

TSI is excellent stuff by itself.

*Some worth while reading on TSI 321 ---  https://tsi301.com/tsi321moreinfo.htm

melkapule

My old Penn reels get wheel bearing grease and 3-1 oil. Both are over 60 years old.
My newer Daiwa spinners are treated same.
I never spent money on lubes as they were left after my mom and dad passed. Mom used the oil first on a foot operated Singer sewing machine.
I am being sentimental. I use my reels on the Kohala coast.

Gobi King

I read on the interweb that mixing grease is faux pas. The mix might harden up and cake up. This was on a wheel bearing dos/don'ts page.

TSI:
I put TSI on a metal sure (thinned with alcohol) then let it dry and then put in grease. I guess I need to stick to synthetic grease if I am going to pretreat wit TSI
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

MexicanGulf

which mechanical parts can be lubricated with Tsi 321?

Swami805

It works wonders on bearings you want to spin freely, mainly spool bearings. I use grease for every thing else
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hytekrednek

just buy a thinner grease if that is what is needed.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: MexicanGulf on May 15, 2023, 08:28:30 AMwhich mechanical parts can be lubricated with Tsi 321?
Anything CAN be lubricated with TSI321, but you sacrifice protection for speed. The most ideal locations to use it is bearings and any shaft that slides or rotates in a sleeve. Extra points if it does both.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MexicanGulf

I have an Accurate Boss 400 which mechanical parts should I lubricate with TSI 321 oil?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: MexicanGulf on May 31, 2023, 01:38:05 AMI have an Accurate Boss 400 which mechanical parts should I lubricate with TSI 321 oil?
The bearings. And a drop on the AR. Everything else gets greased.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

boon

Only the "high speed" bearings which in that reel is pretty much the spool ones. The driveshaft and pinion bearings should be greased for protection.