SF Live bait Halibut trip 5-8-23

Started by CooldadE, May 01, 2023, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Just throwing it out there y'all... my good friend Dave was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's. He wants to get in as much fishing as he can before he can't. We're looking at booking a couple of spots on the Cal Dawn I or II for a live bait Halibut trip on May 8th. Great boats and crews. It would be great to see some of the Ohana on the trip. I'll post the details as to which of the two boats we will be on soon...
* Good reports of fish up to #20... I believe there is going to be some kind of vote to lower the bag limit down to 2 very soon...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

halibut fishing has been better than ever, but i'll be tied to the dock here until i start making some progress in the garage. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

It's a go... we booked 3 spots this morning. More open spots as of then. We're on the Cal Dawn II ... let me know if any of the Ohana book a spot so I Can look for ya.

Cool

mikeysm

CooldadE

You can board as early as 4:15 am and check in no later than 5:15 am. Boat leaves promptly at 5:30... usually back by 2:00 pm... but you never know.

Cool

David Hall

Great boats and captains cant go wrong on either one.  :d

mikeysm

I'm all booked for the eighth. So what kind of gear am I going to need? How deep are we fishing?

CooldadE

Great! No heavy gear needed. I use a 12-30# rod (270) size and a Squidder Jr. Filled with 20# mono... you want a rod with a nice bend/ tip action. The boat has rental gear also. Fishing pretty shallow prob 10 to 25 feet. The bay is huge so you never know where the Cap is going to take us...

Cool

mikeysm

I have all the gear I just need to know what to bring. What wheight of sinkers, rigging what are you using.

CooldadE

What weight we use depends on the current and drift. It's pretty fluid and the Cap will let us know what size to use. I think last tine it was 6,8 and 10 oz torpedo style. It's important that everyone listens to the Cap / crew or major tangles will insue. I make my own live bait 3way swivel drift rigs but they are available on the boat. Trap rigs ( with a treble hook in the tail ) are frowned upon as they are more likely to get caught up in the net...

Cool

CooldadE

I was getting my gear together and realized the mono on my narrow Squidder needs changing. #20 again prob Big Game... Looks like no rain for Monday !

Cool

thorhammer

Like the cord wrap, and who doesn't love a framed 146!

CooldadE

Yea, green is kinda my jam... I love that slow little reel ! Just right for Bay Butts... on two separate Bay trips guys next to me landed 30# fish ( those fish had some shoulders) My best to date was a 15# fish...

Cool

Cortez_Conversions

Squidders are my favorite reels, Cool. That blue and silver one has been lots of places and killed lots of fish. This pic was from our March 2023 Yellowtail trip to Baja. We fished Isla Cerralvo, had a great time!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

CooldadE

Nice fish and reel... I've got Cortez 112H blue plates and Jigmaster silver plates but haven't built them out yet.

Cool