SF Live bait Halibut trip 5-8-23

Started by CooldadE, May 01, 2023, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Probably drifting. I use these slider things in front of a swivel with the leader on the other end of the swivel. Allows the fish to swim with the bait without feeling the sinker too much. Makes changing shirkers easy too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

Got back about an hour ago from our day on the bay. We arrived early and boarded the Cal Dawn II (recently re-powered) smooth and fast. Light load of only 13 anglers. Found Mikeysn and chatted while motored over to get fuel and bait. After that we jetted over to the South Bay (near the SF Airport) we fished very shallow, probably around 10ft deep. Bait was small to medium and sort of lively. Most were hooking up, some more than others. There were more keepers than dinks... a couple close to 20#. Cap and deckhand kept count and told us to reel um up when we were close to a (boat limit) of halibut, and I caught about a 4# very spunky striper. The Cap and deckhand, were able to take care of the anglers and catch fish also.
Then we jetted to an area and found working birds and set up for quite a few drifts to round out our day with limits  of stripers for all... oh yea it was shallower there at about 5 or 6ft I'd say.
Great weather with very low winds and minimal light rain. All and all a great trip !

Cool

Sorry no pics on my end..
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bill B

I'm glad you guys had a great trip.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

Cool that you nailed them .................... good work.

Todd
Todd

CooldadE

I lost a nice one at the net, prob 10#, hook popped out. One of my old fart buddies was having problems all day with hooks coming off (bad knots) and also problems with the 30# braid the had on his reel. All user error imo...
I love the guy but I would wager the only thing harder than his head would be Boron Nitride... the man does not take coaching or constructive criticism well. Life is to short not to accept the fact that we all can learn from others...

Cool

CooldadE

Some pics from trip...

Happy anglers...

Cool

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

This morning I trimmed and vacuumed sealed all of the fish. I've got family from Texas arriving tomorrow. I'll prepare a Surf and Turf dinner in a couple of days... I'll pull out some BFT also as my son-in-law is the only one other than me that eats  sashimi . Might even pull out some YT and BFT collars to grill... Life is fishy and I like it !

Cool

mikeysm

The Halibut is a premium tasting fish. I'm glad I went it was fun. Lots of room on the boat for fishing.

pointbob

so are you allowed to keep all the fish you catch? and how much doe sit cost per person? thx
Patience comes to those who wait

CooldadE

Yes you keep your catch up to your limit of 3 halibut and 2 stripers. Cost is $200 for the day...

Cool

Hardy Boy

Don't calculate what it costs to catch fish ............................ you don't want to know !! My wife likes the California halibut better than the Pacific halibut for eating.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

Owning a boat is the most expensive way to get free fish.
Well done.  :d

JasonGotaProblem

That's $40 per fish. At that size that's a great deal. You cant beat that at walmart.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

CooldadE

It's hard to put a price on a great day on the Bay with friends and the fish biting ...

Cool