Trout Art w/3 Custom Tied Flies in Oak Frame

Started by El Pescador, May 01, 2023, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Every man needs a hobby, and fishing is mine!!!!

And from that fact, I have fishing things brought to me and just dropped into my hands.

Over the weekend, a long-time industry buddy called to say he is stopping by and wanted to give me something.

Well, here it is.

Custom-mounted Trout Art with 3 Custom Tied Flies in an Oak Frame. 

My buddy was at an estate sale and noticed it.  The daughter handling the sale said her Dad died, and was a

fisherman, and had this in his office for years.  In fact, he himself tied the flies.

Enjoy, I sure am.  Looking to mount it in the garage.

1st Fly looks to be a Bead-head Streamer in Purple.  I can fish with this fly!!!

The second fly looks to be a sparsely tied steelhead or salmon fly in yellow.

And the third fly looks to be a Muddler Minnow-style in dark hair with some sparkle.  I'd break the glass just to fish this fly!!!!

I'll wait for Dominick to get better and his leg stronger - he will help me hang this artwork on my garage wall.

And if anyone has any better idea of how to photograph something behind glass, I am all ears  :cf

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

farmer56

farmer56 here, just maybe he could be my buddy too.... wow very nice...

Shellbelly

Quote from: El Pescador on May 01, 2023, 07:04:45 PMI'd break the glass just to fish this fly!!!!
Hang a hammer and sign beside the picture...." in case of emergency, break glass." ;D
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Brewcrafter

Very nice piece Wayne!  I wonder if the original owner did the trout as well?  And the matting is pretty intricate.  I suspect if this was in a Trout Unlimited fundrai$er that it probably commanded a pretty penny. - john

Crab Pot

Nice litho's Wayne.

Kind of nice for the garage though!

Here are some of mine.

My daughter hand drew the deer.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Gfish

I like the Muddler best. It has nice blending-flow of colors.
I agree with Crab Pot, too nice for the garage. Unless you have a nice man-cave in there.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thrasher

Cool piece and even cooler of your buddy for grabbing it for you. Nice that you got the history of it also.

Donnyboat

Hi Wayne you should of made more inquires, he possibly had many rods & reels as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

theswimmer

Hey Wayno 😜
I believe the second fly is a  Crazy Charlie ?variant , salt water flats pattern ...
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

jurelometer

Pretty sure that  the second one is a Golden Comet.

The Charlie is an upside down fly with a straight eye, sort of a short  clouser. No hackle.  Was created by Bob Nauheim, and originally called a Nasty Charlie.

Wayne's first fly is what tyers call a hairball.  If you have a cat, you will know why :)

-J