Boss 270 Magnum a resurrection story

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 02, 2023, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 15, 2023, 06:54:25 PMWell i just found out half day party boats targeting grouper etc start around $150 locally.

sounds pretty doable a that price, I say go for it and you have the gear for that

on "members fishing reports" section, look for "newell nut" reports, he was one of the fist rod builders from the forum to help me with tips and some accesories and components and also he used to fish pretty often on a partyboat on florida for snappers, mangos, etc you could check the kind of gear he normally used and get a hint or two, etc

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I think this one's gonna live again! I found and ordered a NOS frame on the bay so no need to ghetto rig the stripped screw hole. Game on!

Also the a jigmaster handle fits on the 270. In case anyone was wondering.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

nice, show us the reel once its ready to roll
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Reel body arrived today. I didn't realize there were 2 different versions, the one I just bought comes with a cast control knob. The one I'm replacing does not. Now i gotta track down a knob and the other lil bits that come with it. I thought this guy was almost ready. 

Gfish

Man, more complexity for you. Painful but good learning experience.
I like my Accurate. Great tolerances on these. Mine's a twin-drag and I still can't figure out how both drag washers(on either side of the spool)press evenly on both sides by just moving the spool one direction with the cam?
The tiny side-plate screws and their placement are a mystery to me too. Both a 6 & 7 torx have worked on mine. 3 on one side and 1 way over on the other side?
I mangled my E-clip once before I broke-down and watched the disassembly video on the Accurate website. They show what Justin was talkin bout, as well as a few other tricks and most important for me, the sequence.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Local parts shop has everything to fill in the gaps, minus the B-3364 which is likely the most important component.

JasonGotaProblem

Accurate already sent me a tracking # for the part listed above. I'm impressed.

The reel foot seems utterly fused to the old body being retired. I now have a twisted torx bit. Some of what ive seen elsewhere in the reel suggests to me this ol girl has seen more saltwater than rinse water. This ones gonna be fun. I'm gonna leave it soaking in PB blaster for the weekend. Since I'm not trying to reuse the aluminum body, i have a lot of options at my disposal to remove it. I'm gonna start with heat. (After the PB).

The foot likes like it's steel. Though i could be mistaken

steelfish

LOl this reels is giving you really Hard time
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I think its because it'll catch me a ton of fish. But I gotta earn it first.

A good PB soak and a blast from the heat gun and it's free and i can reuse the screws.

In fact it's already attached to the new frame. With loctite. Like it was on the old one. This time blue, not red.

JasonGotaProblem

Reel is fully assembled aside from the cast knob assembly which relies on a part that is en route from accurate.

This thing is a beast. 45 second free spool, and a remarkably stout yet smooth drag.

I had this figured as a bottom/vertical fishing setup, but maybe it's a surf caster too. I just gotta pull the old line and respool it. I'm thinking probably 50# braid?

And it looks really sweet with Ted's 2/0 size handle. I may go to a lighter ball-style knob in the future, but for now I'm really loving the Tani knob.

Hardy Boy

Todd

ExcessiveAngler

Darn that sucker, looks really compact, or you got big hands my friend lol!
Nice looking little reel there, Jason!
Glad you could get her/him? back together!

steelfish

nice little tank

it looks as small as my Boss Xtreme 400N  (I have small hands)

I wish mine had the cast control knob
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

It lives! A part of me is thinking about stopping by the lake and seeing how it casts.

275yds of 50# x8 multicolor daiwa J-braid no backing.

I need to figure out where that o-ring is supposed to go. There's a lot of play in the cast control cover. Doesn't appear to affect operation, it's just a cover. 

And yes my hands are absurdly large. When I briefly did MMA I had to special order my gloves. The largest sizes weren't big enough. I could palm a basketball by age 10.

ExcessiveAngler

Looking good brother!
Awesome that you took something, that may have never been able to be used again, and got it right up and going, with some effort!
Good for you brother, you sounded like you were quite determined to get it done lol!
Now you can sell off the blue 146, that you just built! Speaking of, I gotta ask, did you just buy that last blue 146 CC frame?
Actually went to buy it and was gone!
Then you posted yours up, and I said that's it, I'm taking the plunge lol!
Except there was nothing to plunge into lol!
Out of stock!!!